Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cutter comp

mike561h

hello friends,

seeing how I am working in a production shop now.

We use cutter comp a lot. I have not had much experience with it due to I just adjusted the tool diameter on the pgm and resend the pgm for wear. Should I use cutter comp in control? or wear? I will be adjusting cutter comp on the haas controller. What is the difference?

Thanks in advance.

Control:

You need to set the comp value in the machine to 1/2 of the cutter size being used.

Wear:

You need to set the comp value in the machine to ZERO if you are using the same size cutter as was PROGRAMMED.

ie: if part was programmed for a .500 dia cutter,and you are using a .460 diameter re-grind, the value in the control would need to be set to -.02

because the cutter is .02 smaller PER SIDE than the programmed tool diameter.

Another difference is this:

Control:

the program will be point to point

Wear:

the program will be point to point also but the #'s will be different by 1/2 the programmed cutter size.

HTH

GO PISTONS!!!!!

36-5 as of last night! woOT! woOT!

If you are new in the production shop, then follow how it was done before. If they programed with compensation, then you should also program with compansation. Saves all the hassle with fellow workers, and when using older programs that were run before. Wear or compensation is a personal preference, as both have good points depending on how the shop is set up.

just my Sfr0.02