Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hard milling

DG

Just a quick question. I am to try milling hardened steel dies for the first time. S7 at Rc 58. I'm really excited about this as it potently can save me a lot of edm electrode burning time. I have read all the previous posts that I could find about it and have absorbed a lot. My question is that as I post my feeds in IPM, They don't seem fast enough. I am using a .1875 two lipped ti-acn ball end mill to rough, a .01 stepdown,a .005 stepover and 30000 rpm. Does 60 IPM sound right That's at .001 per tooth. I will finish with a .06 2 flute Ti-Acn, .0005 DOC and .0005 stepover at 40000 and IPM of 40. Does this sound about right? I will climb mill and run a light oil mist with air. Just sounds slow to me? Can anybody help a hard milling beginner? please.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

's ok. thanks. So I be cutting some hard chips tomorrow. I'm going with .187 @ 16000 RPM .002 p/t for 64 IPM. .010 DOC, .005 stepover to Rough. Then .062 @ 40000 RPM .0005 p/t for 40 IPM .003 DOC, .0005 step . To start out. No guts, no glory!

Here is a link to RobbJack's guidelines: http://www.robbjack.com/html/tech.html

Not sure what coating your using but I would suggest TiALN or ALTIN for steel that hard. Some other good brands are OSG and Fraisa. I even tried Garr's new DieMold endmills recently with good results. To get your feeds & speeds use the tool manufacture's information to start with and go up from there. And note that all tools are not the same so try different brands.

Carl

I have a couple of spreadsheets from Makino and TESCO(seco) if you would like to have them drop me an emial. Makino's asks for some specific information and then spits out the numbers for stepover, doc, and material to leave. This is all based off of hardness of material, diameter of cutter, average angle of surface....Drop me an email and I will send them to ya. You see the numbers and won't believe it until you cut it. The Makino spreadsheet works great for OSG cutters. The Tesco spreadsheet is set up for their cutters, and is a little to aggressive for OSG, but their cutters love it.

OK I'm cutting and all looks fine ,But....My speeds got all knocked down in the post? especially in the helical entry. I know this is a Mastercam issue. My entry speeds got knocked back from 300 IPM to F.01 which doesn't even move. Is this tied into high speed maching parameters? I had to go back and open high speed parameters and bump up my min speeds, but I didn't use the high speed function. And even then all my speeds got knocked back. The tool is cutting like its in butter and I know I can crank it up. My speeds got kicked back to F30 from F73 on my radial cuts.???