Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coolant advice needed

Bruce Caulley

Morning all,

We are having a problem with corrosion on our 7075 aluminium components. I am leaning towards galvanic corrosion as the culprit, but putting zinc annodes on the fixtures and on the sub plates isn't working. Parts come off the fixture with black splotches after only a few minutes of machining. We are using Hocut 795B but we also have a large coolant recycling tank out the back that oilskims and removes fines. The recycled coolant seems to promote this corrosion more than fresh made. My theory is that it is dissolved metals in the coolant itself and that we either need to add a different filtration/processing operation to the recycled coolant before re-use OR use a different coolant altogether. One that won't promote galvanic corrosion.

What coolants are others using? Most of our work is ally aircraft components, but we do a mix of steels and exotics also. Some of the coolant I see in machine demonstrations is clear or almost so. What is this stuff?

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Bruce

David,

Do you have a recycling system? The coolant works great until it has been "cleaned" and re-used. Houghton are in regularly to check the usual levels you mentioned, but I reckon if they were monitoring dissolved metal content/conductivity it would be off the dial.

I set up a small experiment with a battery and a couple of bits of scrap 7075. The new coolant had a couple of bubbles appear around the annode, but the old coolant looked like it was boiling.

Bruce

Bruce

I know exactly what your talking about Bruce. I've experienced the exact same type of corrosion, usual occurs in a day or so...but not hours. Stacking 7075 parts directly against each other will cause it too, so it certainly sounds like galvanic action in your case. We use Blaser 4000 strong, which is a little overkill for aluminum, but not a problem. It doesn't gall with surface toolpaths, and cleans/decants nicely. We change/clean/decant it every third month or so. No inline filters either.

hth