Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Definition Nightmare...

Bruce Kanzelmeyer

One minute I am tweeking the output feedrates in my MPHaas control definition and the next I am getting the following error:

This machine does not have any valid axis combinations defined and cannot be used in a toolpath group.

Help! This has been working perfectly up until now (except having to edit the default feedrates manually every time in the new high speed surface toolpaths) but can't seem to get this machine definistion to even load today to get programs for my HAAS. Any thoughts on how this got so out of line?

It happens Mike.

You dive in to change one thing and end up changing something else and you're not sure what.

I'm almost willing to bet when he saved, he saved with a different control def and that is where it went wrong. SO he has a machine def and control that do not match.

Guys,

Be very careful and pay attention to whether you are editing the disk copy of your .MMD or just the local copy embedded in your operations manager. Do yourself a favor and check out the pertinent issues in the MD/CD Toolkit that Todd mentioned earlier on the new multimedia page on Mastercams website under the support tab. The complete MD/CD toolkit is there for the taking. Understanding the difference between editing the Disk copy of your .MMD file and the Local copy is critical to not making a mess of things and having to rebuild everything afterwards. Good luck the info is there for making the edits you desire without pooching your operational .MMD file set-up.

Chuck B.

• 2 years later...

I am having the same problem as Bruce and can not figure out what is wrong. I am getting the same messege: This machine does not have any valid axis combinations defined and cannot be used in a toolpath group.

I went on mastercam's website and there is nothing to help. I came into work today to get things done and everything is messed up. I will have to call my deller tomarrow. This was a waste of a day.

All new software needs to improve and Mastercam has improved many things over the years. It's just too bad they couldn't leave well enough alone with NC Utilities>Post Processor>Change.

It worked so smoothly and flawlessly without having to study help files and PDF's with the time we don't have. I'm all for learning new things that are going to help my project along and save time and money for me and my customers, But from what I've read on this forum over time is that not too many are benefiting from this Machine/Control definitions manager thing. I may be wrong by now and many people have found the hidden benefits to utilizing this feature but boy would'nt it be nice to have this as an option for those who needed it and not even turned on for those who find it to be to cumbersome to be beneficial? I guess this could be a request for the next release but more people would have to agree with me to make them sit up and take notice. I know it is beneficial for those who really need it but then again so is 5 axis programming.

Hitachi - I have been using Mastercam for 16 years and I would rather not have to know the difference between MD's MP3's. They mean nothing to me and my projects. (Granted If I were in charge of others who would potentially come to me with questions I would learn all I could on it but ONLY because of that. So I do understand your frustration.)

This is just my 2 cents worth and don't take it for anything more than that. Have a great day.

Jason,

Fair enough, I agree the bottom line is I just want to make a program then go make the part, MD's and CD's are not adding any value to the part or making our company any money, unfortunately if everything is not set right in MC then you are not going to get a clean NC file. I like the old days (V9) when I could just make a source program, post for a particular machine, then go out the shop and make the part.

Elco1971

X3 MU1 Mill L3 Lathe L1 5X

SolidWorks 2007 SP3.1

Dell Xeon 2.8GHz 2GB Ram

NVidia Quadro FX 4500

Windows XP Pro SP2

+1000 for dealing with this Jparis:

quote:

Settings >> Machine Definition >> Axis Combination's >> Click on the axis combination in the upper window, that should reset your Valid Axis combinations

What usually happens is that you have moved or added a "component" to your machine definition, and either it's not checked in the Axis Combinations box, or adding/removing something switched off another component. So suddenly the system thinks that you haven't got an X axis if you were messing about with the rotary axis settings for example.