Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

No drag-n-drop? Where's the Windows?

Josh_Petitt

I was very suprised to find that I cannot drag a file into the MasterCAM window to open it frown.gif

Also, when you are currently running MasterCAM, if you double-click on a file associated with MasterCAM, why does it try to open a new instance of the app? Why not open the file in the instance that is already open?

Finally, when are we going to see the ability to have multiple files open at the same time?

I can respect the originality in the MasterCAM interface, but can it include the functionality users have come to expect with Windows programs?

As a test of this "Windows" hypothesis, I opened MS-Word. and then opened the "My Documents" folder.

1) I dragged a .DOC file icon from My Documents into MS-Word and it opened in the current Word window. You're right we don't do that.

2) I then double-clicked on a different .DOC file in My Documents and it opened a second session of Word (just like we do)

3) I went into one of the open Word sessions and did a File/Open on a different .DOC file. It opened an additional session of Word (like Mastercam - you can't have more than one file open in one session)

There's a lot more to "Windows" functionality than the things you've mentioned, and some of the things you mentioned might not be "Windows" functionality.

John,

Right now, no. We've been giving it some thought over the years, but we haven't decided on whether to do it, or if so, when to do it.

There are a lot of potentially conflicting issues that would have to be worked out - Configuration, Machine & Control Definition, - even Toolbar States can change based upon the part file.

"I went into one of the open Word sessions and did a File/Open on a different .DOC file. It opened an additional session of Word (like Mastercam - you can't have more than one file open in one session)"

yes, but Word ties all the windows nicely together with the Window menu and you can drag-n-drop objects between windows.