Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how I can machining this part

MCFELIX

Felix,

I've done something similar, 1 TPI, 0.5" per side on a 2 axis lathe, no C axis. It had a straight OD, but a straight then tapered minor diamter.

The way I ended up doing it was to modify a grooving tool by cutting off the head and re-welding it on the shank at the correct angle to match the lead. Then you have to program multiple threading cycles, each with a different start point (step over).

You will also find it works best to only cut the full width of thread at a fairly shallow depth and then do another "set" at the next depth and so on until you get down to minor diameter.

I couldn't get Mastercam to do this for me. Had to do it the old fashion way looping the program with variables.

HTH

Yeah, it is a lot of passes. The part I did was 39" long, OD only 2", so I had to go quite slow to avoid chatter.

You could do a short one like you are doing in a 4 axis mill using a bull nose end mill to finish. That will be slow going too.

What kind of material? What kind of machines/processes do you have to work with?

Felix,

I agree, lot of material, with the description of your part, yeah there is agoing to be ALOT of machining going on on that part.

Used to machine augers out if 416 SST on an Okuma LC20. twin lead, 10 or so inches long, 4 1/2" Ø the milling alone would take the better part of 2 shifts.

I am thinking you need to provide someone with the file and maybe for a fee they can do this. I know that sound like an arse but everyone here is glad to help someone but to give you it on a platter is not going to happen. You should contact your dealer and get some more training and take that part with you to do so. 4th axis work is not hard just takes some experience and some practice. Rolldie might work, Axis sub might work, 5 axis flow in a 4th axis output might work. The trick is that alot of us dove in and just start trying whatever we could to make it work without knowing it would. You have to do the same to see what you can come up with. I also think alot of are more than glad to help you but ot pul something out of or arse so to speak that might work for you without seeing what you realy need is alomost impossible. You have yet to tell us the machine or method in which you can or can not do it and leaves alot of people guessing and going WTF. If you can provide a file I promise it will go along way if not I suggest you contact your dealer and see if he can point you in the right direction.

I do mean this in the nicest way possible.

thanks Ron for u input but just i look to find a good way to doing this proyect i never try doing this job before and i take the training ,but this is no only for training is for experience of people done this kind the work before u can learn a way to doing something but you never know if it`s the best way