Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trimming surfaces

Jeff the haas_guy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im having a problem with finish on this part I wonder if I could get some help with.

I ran a surface finish scallop on this part with .006 stepsover. .500 coated carbide ball endmill, on A2 tool steel. I am getting small flats on the 1.0 radius and would like to know if this is normal or can I get a better finish?

Jeff

On the Finish Scallop Parameters page, click the Total Tolerance Button, set Filter Ratio at 1:1 to start. Set Cut Tol. to .0002, Filter Tol. to .0002. Check the boxes to create arcs in all three planes. One way filtering may or may not help you....depends on your machine.

The Filter Ratios 2:1 and 3:1 will produce increasingly smaller programs, but the accuracy will decline slightly, as well.

I'm pretty sure that's how it all works, hopefully someone with more knowledge will set me straight if I'm too far wrong! HTH

quote:

We do forge dies.

--------------------

We've finally discovered the 20th Century.

lol welcome aboard....I do forging dies as well...

Mastercam is the best CAD-CAM for forging dies....and pretty much everything else biggrin.gif

Hey Haas.....do a scallop on the dish and a paralell on the bevels...

Mr Ocean:

I ran that program today with the .0002 cut tolerance. It stopped cutting at the top of a cut. The error message said something about the I, J, and K, cant remember exactly how it was phrased. I looked at the program and it seemed to go halfway around the top radius and then went to a G1 code, not finishing the radius. The other program I made did not have this problem. Have you ever had this problem.

Jeff

Mr haas_guy,

I've seen that error on occaision, not exactly sure why it happens. It's not anything serious(at least in my experiences)....I just block skip and continue....I,J & K are vector coordinates for calculating Arcs in 3d. It's just one of those little things that we 3d surface programmers have to deal with from time to time. I must say that I've not seen one since I switched over to version X. They were sporadic at best in V9, and it happened in all of the surface toolpaths. If it really bugs you....LOL....try adjusting your stepover slightly....from .006 to .0059 or .0061 for example.

HTH

Randy,

Interesting! How does not creating Arcs affect program size? Just Wondering. I use the Scallop toolpath on nearly every job, I find that if I don't create arcs, I get so many lines of code to move a small distance, that the control can't keep up. 100ipm program feed is lucky to achieve 20ipm actual feed in some cases.....

Right. I won't say you "should", but it works for me. According to what I read in the Help File, One Way Filtering is beneficial for "Some" Machines, and in certain cases, leaving the box unchecked can cause the small flat spots similar to what you were describin earlier. There is not a lot of detail on the subject in the help file, so I don't have a better answer, sorry.