Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ati video card woes

PeterM

Hi, has anyone out there had any experience with the Ati radion x600 pro video card? I finally got management to spring for a decent computer for me but they didn't take my advise and get an Nvidia card. Of cource I got the system ONE day before mr2 was relesed and now I'm having some troubles

and they are probebly due to the video card.

Peter Martin

mcam 3... - x - mill level 3 mr2

Senior Programmer/Milling Supervisor

Preci Mfg.

400 Weaver St. Winooski VT 05468

email [email protected]

Time to step up and TELL them it's NG.

The only ATi card that should even be considered is a Fire GL and that's it.

Notice I said considered.

If I didn't Peter Scott would jump in here and beat me over the head some more.

He might anyway just because I mentioned ATi

biggrin.gif

I have a crappy ATI card (Radeon X300) and it NEVER works right in V9 or X.

Had to slow down hardware acceleration in Display Properties -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot to almost nothing....mouse cursor was all messed up in V9....entities disappear in X....one of these days Alice, right to the moon....it's still not perfect, but usable.

Sorry about your luck....I gotta' try to get mine to buy me a better card too.

I think that my kick xxxx 24" widescreen 1900x1200 dpi monitor is standng in the way of disabling the hardware acceleration. When I turned it off ,or almost off I can't get a screen redraw in my lifetime. So, John I think I'll put on my flack jacket and go battle for that Nvidia, thanks for the imput all. Peter

PeterM,

Good luck getting that card replaced. Hopefully the new system is still returnable if you can't get the card replaced so the supplier will see reason if you threaten to bring it back.

John Paris,

quote:

Notice I said considered.

If I didn't Peter Scott would jump in here and beat me over the head some more.

Only when you need me to. biggrin.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

Of course, NO Ati card is recommended if you ask us. I don't want to have my boss beat me up if he hears me recommend anything other than nVidia Quadro FX series (mine's an FX 540).

HTH cheers.gif

my87csx481

I am running an ATI X300 without any problems. If you have acces to the FTP site, then go to unspecified downloads and download GL.ZIP, unzip to your mcam directory and run Mcam as normal. Honest, you will have no more probs with ATI.

we use to have a ati video card and like others it was nothing but problems. i upgraded the computer and had the nivida quattro fx video card installed never had problems again with graphics. if your management wont spring for it every time you got a problem stop what your doing go find your boss and show him after a while he should get the point.if that doesnt work show him these links that we all agree that ati is prehistoric.also show him the dell web site cause you now can buy them with nividia cards inh them.

thousands cant be wrong,good like and fight the good fight

quote:

my87csx481

I am running an ATI X300 without any problems. If you have acces to the FTP site, then go to unspecified downloads and download GL.ZIP, unzip to your mcam directory and run Mcam as normal. Honest, you will have no more probs with ATI.

This procedure usually works well for ATI cards, however as of Mastercam X MR1, if you use these openGL files you will find you crash when trying to print. If you aren't doing any printing though I would recommend trying this out. Download the gl.zip file and then extract to your Mastercam installation folder (ie. c:mcamx).

So, I tried the openGL files as PIP suggested and it seems to work, so far, I haven't tried printing yet.

But don't tell my bosses, I had already made a convincing argument and they have ordered an nVidia Quadro FX 1400 for me, this ati card can't be as nice as that. Thanks again. Peter

Peter Martin

mcam 3... - x - mill level 3

Senior Programmer/Milling Supervisor

Preci Mfg.

400 Weaver St. Winooski VT 05468

email [email protected]