Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Edgecam/Solidworks Integration - anyone had experience with this?

Mick

I was talking to a prospective Mastercam customer the other day, when they raised a potential stumbling block to their purchase of Mastercam. They had checked out Edgecam, and its ability to "totally" integrate into Soldiworks, so that if a change was made in a Solidworks model, that was toolpathed in Edgecam, when the model was opened in Edgecam after the changes, the user would be alerted to the changes, and the toolpath(s) could be regenned.

As far as I'm aware, Mastercam cant do this. I'm curious on anyone's feedback who have used this feature in Edgecam, and if it is as good as they say it is.

Mick,

I can't speak to this exact software itself, I am unfamiliar with Edgecam. However in other softwares that offer this feature, yes, it does work, to an extent. If changes are made to the model, the system alerts you and you have to regen the toolpaths affected by the change.

Now with that being said it's only 100% successful depending on the extent of the changes. If the mill geometry has changed too much then you will need to go back an repick the areas to be cut. Likewise, if holes are added, sizes changed, features added it will all have to be done manually.

So again, it works but only to a point, minor changes and such.

cheers.gif

I've yet to talk to someone who has actually used it at all.

I'm going to call someone I know that actually owns the product, and see what they say.

I have to admit, I'm somewhat skeptical. I used to run Unigraphics, and the whole integrated design and manufacture thing works up to a point. As soon as you get into complex stuff, the software chokes. Then its just like usual, having to re-pick surfaces etc.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll let you know what I find out today.

I just called him smile.gif

He said it was "ok" for basic stuff, but in the times that they used it, if the model had a hole added, when it was opened in Edgecam, they had to reselect the holes. He said that Edgecam was buggy, and when they complained about some of the bugs, their dealer gave them a beta to try. As he said, he didn't know what was worse, putting up with buggy software, or having a beta to try. They ended up getting Powermill, so they dont use Edgecam much nowadays.

Interesting..... Give me Mastercam any day smile.gif

Quote: "As far as I'm aware, Mastercam cant do this. I'm curious on anyone's feedback who have used this feature in Edgecam, and if it is as good as they say it is."

I am not familiar with Edgecam, however ...

Have you tried "Mastercam Direct" for Solidworks?

http://www.mastercam.com/Support/Downloads...mX/Default.aspx

(They also have it for Inventor and Solidedge)

I have used it on basic models, it installs a toolbar on the interface of Solidworks, when activated, it opens Mastercam from Solidworks, importing the model to Mastercam with solid history.

I have heard that there may be some limitations at this point, but from what I have seen ... so far so good.

Does this sound like what you were talking about?

Cheers

Bob