Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Catia Translator Install Problem

MLS

Hey

I downloaded the MR2 Catia Translator off the Website and attempted to install it after deleting my previous versions and it was unsuccessful.

I got an Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:WINDOWSDownloaded Installations{3B957251-75B1-4D1F-901E-BB4D016D9BC8}Mastercam X Catia Translator.msi

Any Ideas???

Thanks,

MLS

XP MR2

David,

There are two versions of the Catia Translator availble. The one from Mastercam and the one from Moldplus. Here at Boeing we use the Moldplus version. We have tested them both and they both seem to work fairly well. We only bought the Moldplus version because at the time we got ProDrill included for free. Originally we thought that ProDrill would provide us with a slick way to do drilling on 5 axis panels. The problem is that ProDrill will not work for 5 axis Circle Mill. In fact I'm going to start a thread about it. Oh, and no history tree from Catia with either translator. You do get the option of importing the planes from Catia though (which is really nice).

Thanks,

Colin

From the info.

quote:

Instructions

To install the MR2 Catia Translator, download this file and run the self-extracting *.exe. Click on the "mastercamx-mr2-catia-web.exe" link, save the file to your hard drive, double-click on the *.exe, and follow the installation instructions. The Catia translator will only run if you have purchased the Catia add-on and have active Catia maintenance. Be sure to remove ALL previously installed versions of the Catia Translator from your system.

The Catia translator will only run if you have purchased the Catia add-on and have active Catia maintenance.

Whats Catia Maintenance?

David,

The translator works OK.

I'm not sure of pricing.

We have CATIA and I have tried IGES, STEP and the CATIA translator, and the CATIA translotor usually produces a better result. This isn't always the case though. Sometimes I might go through all three to finally get something that won't take me hours to fix.

One thing I have noticed is when importing a complicated 5-axis lofted part into Mastercam as a solid, the complex surfaces on the solid are wrong(sometimes). If you import it in as surfaces then as a solid, you can compare and see as much as .020" deviation in the two models.

It is rare with any of the translators to get a closed solid body out of the gate. Generally I import surfaces and have to manually fix a couple areas then create a solid from surfaces unless it is a small, simple 3-axis part.

That also depends on the customer. It seems not all CATIA models are created equal. Some require quite a bit of work rebuilding or re-trimming surfaces...some require none.

MLS

MR2 on XP

My main querry is the Catia V5 files we are getting from Lockheed in England are of a solid modal but they do not create a drawing file. These V5 files have (3D FDT) notes. From what I can find out the only way to get these notes is to have a seat of Catia.

With the CNC Catia translator I could open the solid but I have no idea of tolerances for each feature as these would be in the 3D FDT notes.

With Catia V4 files though they give a drawing which has all dimensions and tolerances. The 3D FDT notes are new to Catia V5.

Am I correct?

CATIA offer a DMU which is more or less a look/ measure type of module with no capabilities to modify the model in any way. In fact, the only way to view annotation in some of the models is with the DMU. V4 has annotation options as well which many of our customers still use. Fortunately, V5 DMU can read the V4 model in without losing the annotation. I believe the DMU module was around $3500 for us, however that price may be on a discount because we have 3 or 4 seats with different options.

I'm not aware of any software that can read these type of notes unless they are in the drawing form as you mentioned David.