Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

create line tangent point

bb

Hi

I am new to version x.

trying to make the tranition from v 9.

what is the best way to create a line of 10 units in length tangent to the endpoint of an existing arc.

create line tanget point was the v9 method.

i have tried the create line endpoints in x.

i have resorted to creating a constuction line from the end point of the arc to center point of the arc then creating a perpendicular line to the construction line then deleting the constuction line.

I better get back to work now.

thanks for reading hope i have been clear.

Barry

thanks John

but this thread is the solution for tangent to two arcs. i can get a line tangent to the arc but cant seem to fix the tangent point on the arc to the end point of the arc.the current method only allows me to pick the other end (point two) after establishing tangency to arc for point 1.if I lock the length of line and pick the end of the arc i get a warning 0 length arc.i have searched the forum but have not found anything to cover this situation.

thanks again for trying to help

Barry

if I understand you correctly, then perhaps the end point of the arc is not the tangent point for the arc when considering the tangency to the other arc.

By definition any point on an arc will be a tangent point.

Can you put a screen shot up or place your file on the FTP so we might see what you are trying to do?

I think I see what he's getting at. I can't find an easy way either. If you don't know the angle how can you specify tangent AND the tangent point ? It seems like you can have an endpoint OR a tangent line... headscratch.gif

My autocursor has a tangent function but it doesn't ever seem to snap on tangent...?

If I specify the endpoint and then let autocursor display the tangent symbol I get "zero length line" error when I click the second endpoint even though the line I had dragged out was not zero...

tangent3ms.png

bb, I think I know what you're getting at also.

It's one of the things that don't work in X as well as in MC9.

In X you can quickly get to what Matt drew above by creating line between center of this arc and a desired point on an arc and then just use "create line perpendicular thru this point..."

hth

Barry,

I figured out a way that works. Auto-cursor should be doing this for us but it's not working right for tangent function...

Anyway...

If you use create line endpoint, select the end of your arc(first endpoint), then on the "auto-cursor" toolbar force "tangent" selection, then select the same arc. At this point you have a very tiny line that is a live entity... Type your length in the box and green check. That should do it.

EDIT: Actually it's not working. The above procedure works if you select the first point using "nearest" auto-cursor. If you try end or mid points you get the zero length line error. banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

autocursorbar0fn.png

thanks all

I think version x cant do what v 9 did.

i should forget about what v 9 did and create the contuction line to the center point of arc and then perpendicular line as suggested by Mark.

maybe it will be fixed added in a future maintenance release .

Barry

this is functionality that was lost in the translation from V9 to X. Its something I used all the time and I miss it. The current workaround

is to draw a line perpidicular to the arc and then a 2nd line perpindicular to the first line.

Its cludgy, but it works.

Everyone who misses this fucntion should email

qc_at_ mastercam_dot_com.

Call the email an enhancement request.

I pushed this hard during the X beta cycle, but obviously not hard enough.

The next release is in development. Now is the time to ask.

Seems to me you need to enter a length in the box, and I enter an angle also and lock them. They are locked when the values are red.

The last time I created a line tangent I had had to zoom in close to get it drawn correctly.

I am of coarse assuming you did not enter a value as I state.

Good luck as X takes some getting used to.

I still am.

quote:

The last time I created a line tangent I had had to zoom in close to get it drawn correctly

If you draw a line this way and then again

using the 2 perpindicular lines routine, you'll often get different results.

The 2 perpidicular line method yeilds correct

results, your way usually looks right, but close inspection will show that it isn't. I got bit

one time so now I just do it the hard way.

It would be nice to get this fixed.

Here is the work-around.

Say you have your arc, make sure perpendicular is on and create a perpindicular line from the endpoint of your arc. Now create another perpendicular line from the same endpoint, this will be perpendicular to the previous line you created, but also tangent to the endpoint.

There will be a new function for creating this is X2 but it is not ready yet. I hope this work-around works for the time being. Good luck!

bb,

The construction line method seems to work for now. There is a way to do it without creating any construction geometry but it's just as long. If you want to do it without creating extra const. geometry, select Create-Line-Endpoint and lock in the line Length. Make sure the Tangent button is active on the line ribbon bar. Select the end of the arc as the start of the Tangent line. There must be an Angle input for this to work. The angle can be found using the Data Entry Shortcuts and using the Angle menu from them.

1zh1y7n.jpg

Select the Center point as the first point and the Endpoint of the arc that you want to use as the Tangent point for the line. This will provide you with the perpendicular Angle for the Tangent line. Add or subtract 90 degrees from this found angle to give you the Tangent line you're looking to produce. HTH cheers.gif

Todd Tracey,

I've tried that method and it seems to work but then I looked at the angle value produced and it's not perpendicular to the start angle at the endpoint of the arc. I could be missing something however. When you state "force tangent" point are you using the Autocursor icon or the Tangent button in the drop-down menu? This should be fixed however. It shouldn't be this complicated to generate a line tangent to the endpoint of an arc.

draw a circle,draw a point.create a line endpoints select the horizontzl or the vertical button and select the point first now select the tangent button and select the circle the (whole circle should change color)trim/extend line to length and rotate if you desire