Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how-slow drilling cycle when breaking thru

GeoGirl

While an integral drill chuck won't come apart during a toolchange [like the taper-fit holders do], they still suck

3 times the holding force of what? The most positive drill retention setup, I would guess, would be a Whistle Notch holder but after that I would run an ER collet chuck all day over a drill chuck. If you are running a high thrust load use a stop screw in the collet chuck to back up your tool.

Drill chucks are for Bridgeports and maybe edge finders....

I saw an episode of American Chopper where they were milling a piece of Aluminum in one of their Haas' with about a 3/4" endmill that was probably 4" long and they had that in a drill chuck...nothing like advertising you have no clue what you're doing

hi geo ...chris is right ...although integral drill chucks are great for .250 dia and smaller holes...anything larger and you are actually taking the chance of pushing the drill up because naturally you up the feed and pecks for larger drills ...if this is a one or two off or even a few more than that then go for it but for any type of real production ...you need to collet your drills ...good luck smile.gif

babolino,

I don't believe High Feed works on Canned drill cycles. It's all about how the tool removes material. Drills are plunging tools, not actually feeding (linear) through material. The best solution would be to follow Chris's advice and contact your reseller to ask for a custom drill cycle modification for your post. HTH cheers.gif

The Fanuc manual that I have clearly states that the highfeed option is not used on canned cycles.

:shrug:

A custom cycle to do this should not be that difficult. If you search for existing custom cycles on the forum you should be able to get a feel for what needs doing.

A slower feed to break though? Doing the opposite would work better. If you are burning the corners off the drill, try slowing the rpm down, and raising the feed. Most people run rpm's way too high, and feeds way too slow on drills and reamers. This may not be the case, but I see it a lot.

What material are you drilling? What kind of drill? And what feeds and speeds are you trying?