Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X,'D AGAIN!!!!

thoskins

Translation please....did you have more than one session open at the time? Or did you have only one open then tried to open a second one?...Were you generating in the first window?.....You'll have to excuse my ignorance as i have been working with 2 and sometimes 3 sessions and seen a few strings go through here with this problem but i have been lucky i guess...there i went a said it ...now im cursed firebounce.gif

I almost always have 2 or 3 windows open. I am the programmer, setup, and operator of a couple machines. I don't see how it is so easy for some people to switch to new versions and have no slow down in production. No flame intended, but everybodys job is different. I don't use the auto back-up but i do save after doing some major step's while programming.

For me its hard not to have more than one session open at a time. We machine Die Cast Molds for GM and they are terrible about last minute engineering changes. Especially on there new 6 speed program. Currently I have about 7 engineering changes that have to be added to my current project. Thats just this time. Not to mention that that there are several different die series in the 6 speed line that are basically the same die but with slight differences. So I made one file for all the common operations and other files for only the engineering changes.

Since toolpaths are associative to the geometry they were created with its very difficult to go back and swap one model for another without a huge time investment. So in my case it makes sense have more than one session open. To be able to run my current ops and make new ones for engineering changes in another file.

Its my fault that I didn't keep up with my backups, not mastercams. But its mastercams fault in a way that I have to in the first place. Now before ya get out the flame throwers just know I'm a huge fan of mastercam and I don't want to use anything else, but come on... if we cant rely on it to keep a viable file what the heck do I need with new toolpaths that process faster, so I can get back to where I was faster.

Time is money. The more time I have to spend redoing what I have already done the less money my employer makes and the less money I make. I don't like less money. It also affects my credibility. Myself and another person here were huge activist in the push to replace Work NC and Edgecam as our cam software. It made sense one software for two. But when you have to explain time and time again that mastercam did this or mastercam did that and this is why we have to do it again...well they tend to get that tone in their voice that says "yea right". They don't want to hear that we spent all this money and it don't work sometimes.

Sorry a little long winded. I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I like mastercam and I think they're doing a great job. Those little red X's have a tendancy to rev up the "tude"