Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis router???

Matt Niadna

The company I currently work for is looking into purchasing a 5 axis router to cut secondary operation and check fixtures out of RenShape. I know little about 5 axis machines. The companies I have contacted already are: Shoda, Thermwood, DMS, and Quintax. Can anyone give me some input on machine makers, quality, and service?

Thermwood is a very good machine for this type of material, but if you think about doing any metal work on the machine forget it. I would put my feelers out there for a 2 or 3 year old machine. Good but about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a new one. I could do some very nice complex works on the ones I ran. The bitch about the is tramming the head. It take 4 to 8 hours depending on how bad it is. And you need to have them or someone who know how to do it show you it or you will be lost.

HTH

Give C.R. Onsrud a look. We are new to 5 axis and when our company was looking for a machine, we looked at Thermwood, Shoda, Northwood, Onsrud, and a couple of others. Our machine was more expensive than a Thermwood, but less than Shoda. We've only had our new machine a few weeks. If I call Onsrud with a question (and believe me I've had a few) I get help immediately.

Matt,

I was handed a new DMS 5'x10'x36" just recently and so far the machine has performed well. Very solid construction, very responsive support A+. Also beleive price was right on.

General plastics also makes a great tooling board comparable to RenShape and cuts excellent with HSS cutters with no dust.

Depends on what you want to spend for money you can contact thermwood and find out if they have any refurbished machines and you can get one for 1/2 the cost of a new one I'm running one now and it runs like a new machine. Their controller is very easy to use also I think. The tramming is not fun, once you are used to it it is not so bad. And their service is top notch in my book. But they know me by first name.