Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas Mini Mill

maestro

I do not think that you can compare a Haas Mini-Mill with a Fanuc Robo drill. The Robo drill is about twice the price and more than twice the machine. Fanuc control, Fanuc drives etc.

Your website looks great! Nice looking parts!

John Ford

--------------------

John Ford

cool.gif FYI ....$38,500 it's called the Fanuc Robodrill Mate.

http://www.methodsmachine.com/machines/fanuc/robomate.aspx

I haven't read most of the posts on this thread, but!

I worked for a shop that made race RC parts for five years. I've ran mini mills at other shops also. You don't want one, believe me. Unless you like machines that aren't very rigid. The RC market is becoming very competative just like the paintball market did. nowdays you don't even wanna think about making painball gun parts because you can buy them for so cheap.

So, you probably want a machine like a HAAS VF1SS. it's a really nice high speed machine, very rigid, and leaves beatifull finishes at a rate that'll make your head spin.

I like those fanuc robo-drills also.

BTW here's the company I worked for

www.dacemfg.com

and currently at www.sandvickprecision.com

LOL...

they used to use esprit here several years ago. I haven't used it yet, but the programs that I've run that have been posted from esprit have been kinda crappy. it may have been the programmer. Who knows. I was just harrassing my employer today about how out of date his web page is. We're actually runnin mastercam level 3 MRO2 registered. Best software out there. for when second best can't cut it.

we also have a couple more really nice haas SS machines that aren't listed on the web page, and a haas EC400 horizontal that kicks arse.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't buy anything other than a haas mini mill. I've been running one along with a vm3 for a while now and i love them both. The vm's column is a little flimsy for a 40 taper machine but i think the minimill rocks xxxx! I was running a 3/4" kyocera ultra hurricane 3fl em at .375 doc and .284 woc in D2 at 50 IMP (.024/rev) and the spindle was only loadin about 140%. It would spike to about 180% but ran fine otherwise.

Hi Maestro,

We've got 19 Minimills. For small stuff they are great. For heavy cuts they can be underpowered at times.

For all the HAAS users, here's how to get the most from it. The Minimill, and most HAAS machines, have an auto feed option that lets you set a max spindle load for each tool. If the spindle load exceeds the maximum, the machine automatically slows the feedrate until the tool clears the heavy cut. This lets you program at higher feedrates while reducinging wear and tear on the machine and reducing tool breakage. It's high feed machining in real time. Great for roughing!

How:

- Make Setting 84 = autofeed

- Set Common Parameters 299 and 300 = 50 for faster reaction to tool overload.

- On CURNT COMDS, page up to the tool load page and set max for each tool. These can also be set from the program by macro variables.

- Crank it up!

I have even used this with a setting of 10% to keep a small tool from snapping off in heavy corner cuts.

Simliar feature on a GE Fanuc equipped machine is $5000+. HAAS includes it for free! I haven't seen it on other machines. Factor that into an ROI.

Good value those minimill thingamajigs.

-Tom

Tom, thanks for the tip. I'll be trying it out soon. We have three mini's and they are a lot stronger that their size would suggest, and the base options kick xxxx. Hey they are made in America, that should count for something too.

Peter Martin

mcam 3... - x mr2 - mill level 3

Senior Programmer/Milling Supervisor

Preci Mfg.

400 Weaver St. Winooski VT 05468

PH# 802-655-2487 ext. 231

email [email protected]

I loolked at the mini-mill, traveled to Cali to visit the factory. In the end I bought 3 Milltronics with 4th axis. The milltronics had bigger travels, which overcame some of the limitations of the Haas. I bought 3 VM15's put on laser tool setters and spindle probes. Have not had any problems. For me the fact that the Milltronics factory was in the midwest was a factor. I'd give them a look.....