Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Users, what do you think ?

Recently I sent to QC:

quote:

When using xform, translate I have noticed that sometimes I get a temporary boundary box around all selected entities. This box is excellent fpr selecting From/To points using 3-D mode (in the status bar) to move X Y Z all at the same time.

In order to get the boundary box, I need to have status bar mode set to 2-D, select Xform Translate, select entities, enter...

That brings up the Translate dialog box... At this point I need to toggle the 2-D / 3-D button in the status bar to make the desired boundary box appear...

This boundary box should ALWAYS be displayed in translate.

This resulted in an answer of

quote:

this is as designed under the assumption that the user is going to change SOMETHING when entering the translate dialog. The box preview will also appear if you change ANY setting in that dialog that will change the physical geometry (excluding move and copy toggles because that is merely blanking/unblanking the geometry).

To which I replied :

quote:

I would like to take this opportunity to disprove the statement that the user will change "something" in that box.

90% of the time I translate using From/To points. If I select Xform Translate, then click on the "1" in the From/To area I get dumped to the screen to select my points BUT since the preview box hasn't been created yet I can't use it's corners for my translation. Using this strategy doesn't require me to select anything else in the Xform dialog. This is EXACTLY why I reported it to begin with. Having that preview boundary available to select a theoretical point in space is often extremely handy.

Boy, this is getting long winded...

Here is a pic of the preview boundary box.

afterxa2.png

Since it was hinted that it might be looked at if other users complained as well I thought I'd post this and see what happens.

Should it be fixed ?

The options should've read like this...

A. Fix it!

B. Not not fix it!

C. Just fix it, will ya!

biggrin.gif

I never used that box in that fashion. I thought it was just for visual purposes. 99% of the time, I can use intersection or endpoint to get my points anyway.

Thad

with the preview and live entities in x, i don't see how this is an issue.whats one more click of the mouse,but in version 9 i could see how it is problem.sorry about joining the hijack. smile.gif

I would actually like it if I could decide when it was on or off (A checkbox in the translate dialogue). Many times I'd like to not have it displayed, as it gets in the way of picking points, makes it difficult to see small detail, etc... There are also times when I'd like to have it displayed when I'm only translating wireframe geometry. Currently it is only displayed when translating solid geometry.

I agree with Matt. It would be nice to have it consistently ON. The recommended solution does not sound like a bona-fide solution, but more of an explation of a confusing and quasi-flawed function. Toggle something, ANYthing to engage it. At the very least to gain some consistency there should be a button that says "SOMETHING/ANYTHING". biggrin.gif

Tim,

I can't remember the exact details but it was on and off depending upon what we were selecting...

Maybe try a couple other files ? It's pretty consistently bad on my pc and qc reproduced it.

I think maybe there had to be a solid involved too...

[ 08-25-2006, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Matt Berube at Ferron Mold ]

Matt,

It's probably happened to me but slipped my eyesight. After reading this thread I tried different ways to make it happen and couldn't do it.

Tony,

quote:

I wish translate,rotate etc. were defaulted as

"MOVE" I rarely "Copy"

If the translate were defaulted to move and you forgot to change to copy the original would be gone. It's much less work to delete the translated group than to drag the result back if you forget to check which choice you're on.

quote:

The bounding box only shows up when you translate a solid, not wireframe, not surfaces.

Actually, no. There's something in the config that is supposed to dictate how many of each type of entity are required to make enough "weight" to enable the preview box.

According to the config it's supposed to activate at a weight of 1000...

Weights are defined as:

Weight of Solid? 1000

Weight of Surface? 100

Weight of Spline? 10

Weight of Entity? 1

The trouble is Mastercam's not always respecting the config.

nuhuhxp2.png

nuhuh2cr4.png

nuhuh3ta5.png

[ 08-25-2006, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Matt Berube at Ferron Mold ]

I typically work with solids, so it's usually on for me. But when I went to test it to confirm to myself that it did only work on solids, it only worked on solids just translating a simple wireframe file I was working on, creating surfaces didn't get it to work either. I needed in upwards of 200 surfaces to get the bounding box to show up. Where in the config is this setting? In the registry? I really like the bounding box, but I wish there was a checkbox to turn it on or off. Not just random, and not ALWAYS on. It can get in the way.

You have to open your .config file with a text editor. This stuff is hidden.

10200. Xform Box Preview - Enabled? y

10201. Xform Box Preview - Activation Weight? 1000

10202. Xform Box Preview - Weight of Solid? 1000

10203. Xform Box Preview - Weight of Surface? 100

10204. Xform Box Preview - Weight of Spline? 10

10205. Xform Box Preview - Weight of Entity? 1

10206. Reset C-plane to Top in Iso Gview? y

quote:

It's much less work to delete the translated group than to drag the result back if you forget to check which choice you're on.

Is clicking the undo icon too much work for you Tim? biggrin.gif

Not being a wiseguy, just having a little fun. wink.gifcheers.gif

Thad

quote:

does the UNDO work with translations?

All but solid translations. wink.gif

quote:

btw that Undo is WAY too far in the upper left of my screen. I would have to move my mouse at least an inch and a half.
biggrin.gif

Maybe Ctrl+Z is a little closer for ya. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Thad