Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface finish help

MIKE_B

Hi all

I have this extruded heatsink that I need to skim the bottom flat within .001 with a 32 finish. Anyone have any tooling suggestions? I will be holding it with a wedgeclamp pushing against a fixed stop. I can only cut between .005-.010 off the part. So far I have tried a 2.00 45° face with not much luck. Some parts cut nice but others chattered

Thanks

Mike

ScreenShot019.jpg

Tim

I don't have much fly cutting experience. With something like this am I correct to want a small radius tool so not to push on the material? Do you have any tool bit suggestions to use in the flycutter? And also maybe some starting speed and feed parameters.

clay is awesome but your right doesnt lend itself to production. could you mill nest fixture of rubber or soft plastic to help support and reduce harmonics?

also fly cutters are great but sometimes you can achieve similar effect by removeing all but one insert from face mill?

just some ideas.

doug

quote:

With something like this am I correct to want a small radius tool so not to push on the material?

You are correct, although a larger radius will stay sharper longer. We use the style of fly cutter that uses a brazed carbide turning tool. We also use a style that has a single insert. Check out J&L or MSC.

well material is a key factor in deciding what method to use.

We maintain a 32 finish on 416SS material using a sandvik 1-1/2" 45 degree face mill. The key was/is the insert selection. Talk with your insert rep. about using a "wiper" insert. It was the the solution to feed lines and a "wavey" finish. I could get you the info if you are interested.

JM2C

We use them on 416SS and 4140 alloy with excellent results. We even use the same grade and style for both materials.

Here is the specs we use:

SANVIK CUTTER: RA245-051R19-12M

SANVIK INSERT: R245-12T3E-ML QUANTITY:3

SANVIK WIPER: R245-12T3E-W QUANTITY:1

Sanvik's website is not the best for research but most insert manufacturers make this style of insert.

What you may want to try is using a something like molten lead to fill in the gaps.

Let it set and reach ambient temperature then cut the part.

I've done this frequently with aircraft production work.

Once your'e done cutting, you simply heat up the part and just melt away the lead.