Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cutting negative angle surfaces

terry5357

Terry,

You need to use Surface Finish Contour and disable the "gouge checking". Then use the "Direction" button on the Surface Parameters page to get the tool into and out of your undercut area. The only other toolpath that works well in undercuts is Flowline, but you can really only drive a single surface at a time. I have gotten around this using Flowline by remodeling several adjacent surfaces as a single surface.

The only toolpath that will work reliably in undercuts on multiple surfaces that I have found is Surface Finish (Or surface rough) Contour. Note that there is absolutely no difference between surface finish contour and surface rough contour, they are the exact same toolpath. Because you have to disable gouge checking, I recommend using the STL compare utility to check your cut stock back to your original model.

HTH

Colin Gilchrist

The Boeing Company

MR2 and Beta test site

• 2 years later...

Flowline works great James, as long as the UV vectors of the set of surfaces are aligned. If not, Mastercam can have a problem with the tool trying to retract at the surface edge, or you get some funky motion.

The thing I do like about Flowline (when it works) is that you don't need a containment boundary. Bonus.