Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Conversion problems

gms1

Im having some issues with converting files into mcamx. I can open an .iges file into mcam 9 and it has the splines, lines, and arcs on the surfaces. When I open the same file in mcamx all of the lines, arcs and splines are gone. I keep thinking im missing some setting in the config but I have every option checked on. What the heck am I missing?? It does the same thing when I try and import a Rhino 3d file and its driving me nuts having to recreate all this geometry.

Using version 10.1.3.34 (mr1/sp2)

Click on the options button in the open files window. Make sure "create edge curves" is checked

is your entites attribute manager on in your config? If so, also check to see if the "apply to files when open button" is checked in your configurations ea manager. It could be creating the geo but putting it on some crazy level

MLS: Your way worked to a point. It only imported some of the geometry?! /boggle

Chris: Edge curves isnt an option on iges translations, but every option is checked on.

I normally don't run the EA manager so no it wasn't turned on. I did turn it on for ***** and giggles and imported the same file and still no geometry besides the surfaces.

I'm at a loss, until I can get some kind of answer as to what im missing I'll have to keep re-creating all my geometry frown.gif

Another option if you have solids is to create a solid from surfaces then create curves on the solid. It generally gives you good geometry(lines and arcs)...assuming that the only wireframe geometry you need is relative to the edges of the trimmed surfaces.

If you are trying to import stand alone wireframe geometry that is out the window of course.

headscratch.gif

We made some changes recently in the IGES importer (and only in IGES) which has caused wireframe geometry to sometimes disappear. We were deluged with cases where too much wireframe was being generated in the cases where a trimmed surface was either marked to be transformed in the file, or else was part of a subfigure instance.

Both of these cases cause the trimmed surface to be moved - but the wireframe wasn't being moved too, causing customers to wonder why they had wireframe over here and surfaces over there!

In an attempt to clean this up, the wireframe curves used to trimmed surfaces are no longer brought in. (Standalone wireframe should still come in just fine). Go ahead and create edge curves to get those trimming curves back.

Thanks for the answers guys. I wish I could get step files from this guy but I know trying to get that to happen would make me pull the rest of my hair out.

I just started using mcamx full time last month so I was trying to distance myself from 9 as much as possible. (weening is tough smile.gif ) It is a work-around I could use though.

Pete: Fair enough, id rather have correct surface data then wireframe geometry.