Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MD_CD_PST Path Assignment Utility

Zerren Gedeon

MD_CD_PST Path Assignment Utility

This purpose of this utility is to simplify the process of setting up machine definitions, control definitions, and posts to non-standard location, such as a network drive.

If you run your system stand-alone, this may not mean much to you. But if you wish to share a common set of MDs/CDs/PSTs between multiple users, this requires that these files be placed in "non-standard" locations.

The manual method of doing this is described here ->

http://www.mastercam.com/Support/TechTips/...D/moving-MD.htm

This utility is an attempt to make this process much easier.

The utility has secondary useful function ->

If you just want to see the relationship of the MD->CD->PST links, just select the folder that contains the Machine Definitions you are interested in and then use the mouse wheel or the up/down arrows to "roll" thru the MD files in the dropdown.

Be sure the see the Installation ReadMe.txt in the MD_CD_PST PATH Utility.ZIP (available in the X2_Add_Ons folder of the forum FTP site) for info on where to place each file.

While the utility does backup any file that is going to be modified and/or overwritten - it is a good idea that you have you own backups of your important Machine Defs, Control Defs, and Posts. You do have those don't you?

If you have any feedback or suggestion - please post them to this topic.

Enjoy...

zDog

I've been very busy and have not been to the forum for a few days, so I'll respond to several items here...

------------

Bryan,

Q. Regarding all the MD/CD/PST files in one ‘local folder’.

A. Of course you can do that with this utility and if you do not want them all in the same folder you can to that also.

------------

Greg,

Q. "Can we add C Hooks and config files to this?"

A. No. Those are unrelated items the MD/CD/PST file placement issue.

------------

Kevin,

Q. "Is this for X2 only"

A. Yes. As noted in the 'Important notes' in the (.CHM) Help file.

Yes yes yes, very useful utility. Thank you! Finally got a chance to install and start experimenting with it. I run everything shared on a network drive, however when disconneting laptops and working remotely the whole md/cd/tool library gets, well you know.

after I use it a bit I'll probably have more construtive feedback, for now thanks.

• 3 months later...

I have to second Glenn's suggestion for taking a MD, CD & PST and making a copy of them with a different name. This would be really great in order to simplify the process of copying default MD, CD & PST files and making them link up properly when renamed. I think this functionality is something almost anyone would be able to appreciate.

Nice work on this utility Zerren!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I’m back!!!

I know that there were some requests that the well received MD_CD_PST Path Utility also allow for renaming of the MD/CD/PST files. I actually gave this a shot, but the result was so hideous, it never got out of the doghouse.

Anyway...

“Someone” dangled some dog treats in front of your truly biggrin.gif and...

Look what’s coming to a Mastercam (X2-MR2) system near you -> The MD_CD_PST Rename Utility !

MD_CD_PSTRename.jpg

This purpose of this utility is to simplify the process of altering the “names” of the

(.CONTROL & .PST files) files referenced in a Mastercam Machine Definition, as well as the name of the Machine Definition file itself.

It also renames any .PSB files that match the name of any PST file that is renamed.

It also updates the Post Text reference [CTRL_LATHE|GENERIC FANUC 2X LATHE] in any PST that is renamed.

It should be available after the first of the year, after some more testing has been completed.

Happy Holidays!

zDog

• 2 weeks later...

To all interested parties...

The MD_CD_PST Rename Utility is now available on the forum FTP site in the X2_Add_Ons folder.

Please read the DOC file before using.

*Even though the utility makes a Backup File, it would still be a good idea to have backups of the file(s) you are having this utility alter!

Always better to be safe, then sorry! banghead.gif

If you find an bugs and/or have any enhancements requests, please post them here in this thread.