Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how do I ramp from outside of part?

GeoGirl

quote:

How different is V8 and V9 compared to X?

The functionality of how things work is quite similar.

How it is all laid out in fron tof you however is completely different and brand new GUI

Welcome to the Forum

cheers.gif

Can I ask the obvious question? If you are off of the part, why are you ramping?

That being said, if you are using a Facing toolpath I don't think you have any option to ramp so I would suggest building a 3-sided boundary around your face and playing with Open Pocket or Contour to get some ramp action going.

C

I think that with the facing canned cycle that you do not have the option to start off the part or plunge off the part which is really what you are doing. You do have that option in some of the pocketing toolpaths, but I think that you are going to have to generate the geometry yourself in this instance, just create a rectangle that is bigger than your facing area on the side you want the cutter to start from and use that as your geometry to define the facing routine. Just make sure that the geometry is on the same plane as the surface you want to cut is.

Hi guys,

C... I don't need to ramp, just need to find a way to enter off the part. If it meant I had to ramp I can do that. Don't know if I have to use the facing command or pocket. I just know its fighting with me. I am fairly new obvioulsy, I will try the open pocket again, just not sure how to work with it. What toolpath should I be using to "selecting a point before your geometry so the tool starts from that point"?

You guys are such a great help

thanks again

Geo

A facing cycle can enter from off of the part just set the approach distance large enoguh for half the cutter dia + clearance and it will start each pass off of the part

Ap ocketing routine can use a start point and start outside the pocket, then enter the pocket boundary and start each subsequent pass at that same start point as well

Pocketing works with a start point I know for sure. I use it all the time. Doesn't matter when you select the point either.As long as a point is selected in the Geometry in the tp manager, MCam will recognize it as a start point. you can make a point to select or just or while you are chaining click on the "point" selection Icon and click in the area you want it to start and it will create the point.

John is absolutely correct; facing is the best way to chip and entire piece of stock and requires no part geometry at all if you define your stock in Job Setup. If you are just working on one area Open Pocket works pretty slick and allows you to attack the thing from any place you wish