Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spade Drills ?

M. Anderson

Looking for some advice on spade drills.

Does anyone use these?

How are they at "opening up" holes, or is that a big No-No with them?

What I have is a very large quantity (1000's) of some round spacer looking parts for re-work.

They have a .644 to .650 hole already through them, parts are 4 inches long. Material is 1018, and appears to have been DOM for ID size.

The customer is switching over to a 18 mm bolt and wants the hole opened up to 18.1 mm/(.713) to 18.3 mm/(.720).

I am looking for something other than boring with a boring bar. (.500 bar going 4" deep may have rigidity issues)

I was thinking about a .718 spade drill but have never used one, nor do I know how they work on re-drilling existing holes. headscratch.gif

What would be your recommendation?

Thanks for any input,

Mark

A lot of times the spade drill catalog will show things like maximum suggested pre-hole size. A lot of times you will experience some pretty serious vibration in cases where the pre-hole is very large. You might want to consider an extra-long endmill with the flutes relieved; you only need the thing to cut on the end so have somebody chuck it up on the shank and grind the flutes .030 under, just leaving .250 or something down the end to support the cutting edge. Since you're only doing this to clear for a screw, you could always butch it and bore 2.125 deep and flip the thing around and finish it from the other side.

See, knew I could count on you guys! cheers.gif

Thanks for the info, I was afraid of using a "Spade Drill" for this, I have never used one, now I know not to use them in this application.

Never heard of a "Core Drill" before, and then someone sends me a PDF from Precision Twist drill. rtfaq.gif

quote:

REMEMBER...

1. Opening up holes with two flute drills is no guarantee that the finished hole will be round and chatter free.

2. If pre-drilled or cored holes must be enlarged, the most efficient and safe method is with a core drill. It will insure round holes to size and at up to double the feed rate.

I actualy liked the other ideas also, thanks guys, but if these drills are made for this.... Well... idea.gif

This is what I love about this place!

World wide help for all!! cheers.gif

Thanks guys, I will order one of these today!

Later,

Mark

I used HSS Spade drills on the big engine lathe I ran for years.

I would take a 1" twist drill and drill a hole down 6" or so using a 24" cheeter bar on my tailstock and muscle the material out of High nickle steel.

Then I would slap in a 2.5" spade drill and take that same 2', cheater bar and gouge on it!!!

I could drill a 6" deep hole in short order and not spend 1500 bucks on tooling either wink.gif

But it takes horsepower to do that.....but I could drill holes with hand sharpened spades all day long for nutin'

todays mills, it is better to finess the material out of the hole....but it costs.....

Spades work all right as long as you are taking at least 1/8" per side so they can pressure up and keep the chatter out..