Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RPM

NEW2007

I am making some aluminum mode on KOMO router.

As the manual book suggesting,the spinder RPM is

7000.The parts run on that high RPM,1/32" material is cut off for muti-pass or depth-cut.

Now the problem is the chips welding easily because of no coolant.Could somebody instruct if the RPM too large? (Cutting tool's 1/2" HSS 4 flute spiral)

You can cut aluminum without coolant, but it depends on the alloy and temper. 6000-7000 series T condition it is possible, but softer than that I would say no way without at least a mist. In my experience.

Less flutes, carbide,as large a chipload and cutter relief as possible. Blow air on it to get the chips evacuated.

Hi,guy,

Thank you for your replies.I appreciate all of them.

I agree with Jford ,and will try single flute cutters.

The router is disigned for wood and plastic.There is not coolant system.The spinder limit rpm is 18000 for wood or plastics.We can machine very good aluminum mode.I still try to find good way to provent chip welding.

I don't have experiments on meltershop.Need your further instructions

NEW2007

get rid of the 4 flute cutter for starters. try a 3 fluter first choice, or a 2 fluter 2nd choice. Your probably having an issue clearing chips out of the cut zone, thus some of the galling issues. Coolant is the "right" way, but you should be able to cut coolant-less with the right cutter and feeds and speeds. Look for a cutter designed for AL (high helix), possibly with a coating to reduce chance of galling. the best roughing gall-proof cutters i've found are Destiny brand, with the "black stealth" coating. Alternatly, you could stick with an uncoated cutter but with proper SHARP geo to increase shear and evacuate chip. I'm always trying new cutters, and thus far have found nothing better than Destiny, and MA Ford (138 3 flute series). With the right cutters, 7k rpm is still way under sfm for carbide and al.

hth