Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5ax machine suggestions

quote:

+1 Dynamic compensation.

It's good, but remember you cannot use high speed machining options when it is active. There isn't a controller powerful enough to work out all of those calcalation at once.

The 840Di controller with the TRAORI function works with high speed, and is completely independent of machine kinematics....2 different machines, same program...2 different fixtures (different locations on the table), same program.

I wish Fanuc's version worked........

In October my employer bought a Hermle C40 with the Heidenhain ITNC530 control. The Hermle is a very nice machine with a large work area. Aprx 32" in x and y. Z axis has about 25" of travel with the table flat. The A axis travles are A-110 to A20. For me the best feature on it is that the spindle is very slender so your part only has to be about 4" off the table to machine 5 sides of it. Learning Heidenhain really is not that big of a deal and in some ways it is better than g-code.

• 1 month later...

Bruce and JMC,

You both mention "Dynamic compensation" Where do you get the code from? I am told mastercam will not do it. When I asked the boys at DMG and showed them some of my more complicatied 5 axis parts they said that it had to programmed in a cam system that supports Dynamic Comp but they could not tell me one that does. If I under stand it right for ever G1, G2 or G3 command there is a I,J,K to imply cutting/comp direction.

I have asked questions about this on this forum before with no response.

I don't work with DMU's any more. But this has aways bugged me.

It sounds like you are describing tool radius compensation in 5 axis, which is different to dynamic compensation. DC allows you to programme the part with the zero position where you want it, rather than positioning the model relative to the centre of rotation for the 4th and 5th axis and programming from there.

Bruce

Your correct Bruce. My bad. Cutter comp in 5th axis must be a German only thing. At IMTS none of the app guys in the CAM area knew what I was talking about including UG.

I have programmed Dynamic and bases on a trion point. I got good parts both ways. Dynamic is a must if you plan on multi parts on a fixture.