Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating raised letters

I have a job coming soon that was originally a casting, we are going to make it out of a solid piece of aluminum. I may need to create the rasied letters, like those on the casting. I have engraved but never had to raise them up.

Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

Well John there is a coule way to accomplish this. Is it going to be a curved surface? I have done this ia couple ways. I will figure our the amount of circumference the lettering will need to cover. I then make that my line length for the lttering to be on. I will then roll those letters and then place them on the surface I need them on. You can then do a couple things from that point. Draft the surfaces then trim to curve making them all at the height yo want. Then create a surface at the cylinder the height on the letters create then trim that surface to the letter and know have a full rasied surface of letter in your model. The other thing is just use that as boundary when doing a toolpath most time I will do a pocket a little bigger than the surface and then do a project to the surface if not to much curvature to that surface.

Now if it can be done multi axis that is real easy. Now you just do a 5 axis curve and use the lettering as the chanins offset from there the tool radius and you can get the desired effect.

I have also done this in solids but really depends on alot of factors. I was going to do coaster for a company I worked at years ago on the 5 axis router out of delrin. The lettering was wrapped around the cylinder and have the company logo and name. This was all done in Mastercam. I will look on the FTP I think it is still up there.

I think Crazy Raised.mc9, CrazyText.mc9, and CrazyRoll_Numbers.mc9 might help you out. they are in the MC9 folder on the FTP.

HTH

Ron,

Thanks, I'm lucky in that these will be raised off of a flat surface.

I was thinking, among 10,000 other things how I could raise them up but doing it in SW is the best answer.

Machining them shouldn't be a problem wink.gif