Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spiral Toolpath

slot1.jpg

I need to cut this slot in the piece on a vertical mill using a slot cutter. I want to do it by spiraling the cutter into the center of the part to create the slot keeping a constant cut. Can I do this? I could figure out the dimensions and create a spiral, but I would rather just do a toolpath. Is this possible? It would be like a helical bore but instead of feeding downward, we would feed inward.

Thanks in advance.

If there is a simple way to do this I haven't found it.

I've used the helix cad command to draw a spiral

corresponding to the C/L of the tool and

toolpathed it with comp off.

You can also used the pocket spiral command to get the spiral motion, then backplot and save the geometry. Edit the saved geometry as needed

and toolpath with comp off

can do it easily

Use pocket -true spiral

First geometry ->point (entry point for your slot mill outside from first countour

Create outer contour ->circle diameter=outer diameter +(2*slot mill diameter ) +safety distance

Inner diameter ->target diameter

Now select pocket settings

style -true spiral

Deselect spiral inside to outside

Deselect entry ramp

And enjoy your quick and nice toolpath

Teh Lazytrick

I do it fairly often but not with slot cutter.

Offset outer-most dia of your body by 125% or so of your cutter dia. For geo use both chains, inside and outside, and use pocket spiral (uncheck inside to outside and finish outer boundary).

I use it very often for facing round parts...

I am going to create a circle by adding together the finish diameter and half of the tool diameter. Then create a spiral with the correct step over that is that size plus 1/2 of the tool size and use that as my toolpath. Use the spiral to drive the tool path and the circle as the finish pass. Do a contour with offset turned off and trick it into believeing it is using an engraving tool when it is using my slot cutter.

J.Keilman,

The way you it fine, but you need to know tool Dia. and don't have change to control Dia offset.

I do similar idea with you, but I create a circle same as the finish diameter plus spiral with the correct step over and use contour with comp. = Wear and turn off " infinite look ahead ". You can use lead in/out if you want to.

____