Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

316 STAINLESS

Thee Dragracer1951

I'm drilling 316 stainless for a 5/16-18 roll form tap. The drill is going .625 deep. I'm running cobalt, 55sfm at .0055 per rev. I had been pecking just because that's what was working for a 3/4 spade drill in the same stuff but this ain't gettin it. I'm doing MAYBE 10 holes and the shoulders are going away. I have tried not pecking and that wasn't much better.

I'm open to suggestions here...

Really...

No Kidding, I am... banghead.gif

I'll slow it down.

John , Hangsterfers CF500s at about 8%. I keep up on it.

I have a 3/4 spade drill that I called the tech guys at the mfg. They hit the numbers square on the head. I was using those numbers. Their inserts are cobalt but are coated

I also have some pockets I'm doing. .5 dia, veri helix Pro Max EM with .03 rad on the corners. I'm going to try .2 doc. 200 sfm and .004 per tooth. I think 75% on the stepover.

We'll see.

You can experct more questions.

Jebuz I don't like this stuff.....

sounds like heat build up (corners going away) as well as sfm is a little hotter than i have run with any success in this stuff.

it takes a lot of patients, esp. if you are tapping it. this material will work harden and cause all kinds of night mares.

slow and steady is my 2 cents.

doug cheers.gif

I REALLY need some advice about speeds and feeds. I can't get an endmill to last more than a couple inches.

I was going 200 sfm. .004 per tooth. .1 deep. Slowed down to 150 sfm and .003 per. I'm throwing $65 in cutters every couple minuites at this part and getting nowhere.

HELP!!!!!

The setup is on a sub plate (10" dia 1" plate) and is pretty rigid. Box ways, 40 taper. Held in a ER32 collet. less then 5 tenths runout. Hangsterfers CF500s @ 8%

Thanks Mark

I am using ProMax .5 four flute variable helix, I also have some other variable helix four flute I got on line. They work fine in 303 and 304 I also cut. I have also tried data flutes and hertels and wisper cuts. Thing is, I run these a lot. Every stinkin part is different. I have gotten LOTS of material removal from one set of material and then it all turns to crap on the next run/ If I could see what the inconsistancy was, I could deal with it.

The last time I ran these, I used 200sfm, .004 per tooth, .1 deep and 30% radial. Ran fine. Tried the same numbers yesterday and not a chance....

In fact, I had been ramping into the material nad not I have a 3/4" entry hole.

I'll give your number a shot

Thanks

quote:

I have gotten LOTS of material removal from one set of material and then it all turns to crap on the next run/ If I could see what the inconsistancy was, I could deal with it.

The inconsistancy is diffrent "Heat" or "Lot" numbers. There is a 316L spec for that type of stainless usually found in bar stock that is "free machining" and would not give you the trouble you currently have. Perhaps annealing is an option?

+1000 on Varimill.

I don't use anything else. (their speeds and feeds book is f^%#d up though...)

quote:

There is a 316L spec for that type of stainless usually found in bar stock that is "free machining"

This is what Allan is talking about: Project 70+ Type 316L SS.

hth

cheers.gif

quote:

I have trashed seven, count em SEVEN varimills this morning. 200sfm, .003 per and .1 doc. 25% stepover. I have an entry hole and that's dandy.

I would stop, and send the material out for analyzing. You say that you have certs, but who's to say those are right?

Do you have any other 316SS that you could cut on to compare?

I do not know Bruce

Don't know what Duplex 2205 is.

Doug, I don't know, that's 288 sfm. the feed may work, but I think that's too much spindle. But on the other hand....what I'm doin ain't workin.

The thing that bothers me is I'll find something that works. Next time I run them, same tools, machine , holders etc, I just bust stuff.

I'm going to call teh tech guys at hertel in the morning and see what they have to say.

Duplex 2205:

2205 is the most widely used duplex (ferritic/austenitic) stainless steel grade. It finds applications due to both excellent corrosion resistance and high strength.

The standard S31803 composition has over the years been refined by many steel suppliers, and the resulting restricted composition range was endorsed as UNS S32205 in 1996. S32205 gives better guaranteed corrosion resistance, but much of the S31803 currently produced also complies with S32205.

2205 is not generally suitable for use at temperatures above 300°C as it suffers from precipitation of brittle micro-constituents, nor below -50°C because of its ductile-to-brittle-transition.

Key Properties

These properties are specified for flat rolled product (plate, sheet and coil) in ASTM A240/A240M. Similar but not necessarily identical properties are specified for other products such as pipe and bar in their respective specifications.