Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

which controller? Hust CNC Motion or Thermwood

deckard

Hello All

This is a question for all the experts here in emastercam .com. We have a 1990 model 70 Thermwood that needs to be updated with a 9100 SuperController. In addition to updating the controller we have been told that the machine needs to be completely rewired. My question is which is the better controller? Are there any users out there who have experience with CNC Motion in PA.? They have been great to deal with so far but my own CNC experience is limited to using a Thermwood 91000 SuperController. Both Thermwood and CNC Motion have both recommended the same thing. Complete rewiring and new controller. Anyone out there have any thoughts?

We're on the fence right now as to what to do. Restore our current machine to today's standards with new state of the art controllers or trade in and get a new or previously enjoyed machine that's a couple of years old?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I like the Supercontroller. I know nothing about the other one you mentioned and if the Machine Thermwood I would think stciming with them will pay dividends down the road with service and quality. I have seen tons of retrofits and talk about some terrible looking and running machines if not done by the OEM. I am not saying non OEM can not do a good job, just this Machine is made by them I would want to look to them do the work.

HTH

I am currently "blessed" to be programming for 4- 5 axis Thermwoods and 1 - 3 axis Thermwood. Though I have not used CNC Motion controls, I have looked into them. They are much closer to standard Fanuc controls, which I tend to prefer. I would rather have Milltronics controls, or Fanuc controls than anything, but such is not the case.

There is something nice about sticking with a control you are at least somewhat familier with, so as to avoid any un-needed training of operators, set up guys and totally new posts.

If I ran the company, I would switch over to KOMO 3 and 5 axis routers in a minute, and toss the flimsy Thermwoods, but we have to play the cards we were dealt.

Thermwoods are flimsy?

What do you mean exactly?

Are they unreliable, weak, fragile, problematic?

Please explain because as you know CNC Routers aren't cheap and I don't want to make a big dollar mistake. Just so you know we vacuum form or thermoform plastic parts and were looking to use the machine to create our molds. We have been told that REN board and MDF were ideal materials for moldmaking and even aluminum. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Thanks in advance

he means that they are not rigid both static and dynamically. At A show once I grabed ahold of the spindle on one ( on display) and gave it a tug the sales guy in the booth about had a heart attack and the whole machine shook.

How are you to cut anything with that ???

you want to cut Aluminum on a 5 axis thermwood ???

Think I'll stick to horizontal MC's, thank you....

Shoot, I guess working with tight tolerance metal makes you a tad anal.

I found myself using my Starrett precision machine level this summer when I added on and leveled up my kitchen cabinets for granite. But they do look sweet!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I edited my comments at the request of Thermwood.

Seems as though they do not appreciate unfavorable testamonials about their product from moderators.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The only thing I am sure of is they did not appreciate my opinion(s).

The ODD (IMHO) thing about it is they did not bring it to me directly. They went through a few people.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

By editing my comments, I feels as though I've compromised my integrity in some way which is why I sent Webby my resigation as Moderator for the Mastercam Forum. I'll still moderate O/T but I feel it's my duty to give you folks on the forum an honest opinion and if I can't do that... well, what good am I then?

So Thermwod, if you don't like the FACT that the column on your 5-Axis machines are so weak that you NEED a 1" Travel indicator to measure the deflection, then MAKE A BETTER PRODUCT!!!!!

"he means that they are not rigid both static and dynamically."

That is exactly what I mean. We even have a standard 3 axis with only 10" of Z travel, and with that I have some deflection and lack of rigidity. But our 5 axis machines are really bad, and have been since day one.

My boss tells me that my problem is that I spent too much time in metals and the aerospace sector and not enough time in the plastics end of manufacturing.

Which may be true, but in my eyes, it should be very simple with a decent cnc router to achieve semi tight tolerances and decent finish quality, no matter the material. Frankly, If I can achieve aerospace tolerances with a KOMO or Shoda, I should be able to all but eliminate any signs of chatter in materials as soft and light as Polyethylene with nearly any other router. But such is not the case in my experience with Thermwood.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...my problem is that I spent too much time in metals and the aerospace sector and not enough time in the plastics end of manufacturing...

Horsefeathers!!! MANY CNC Router Mfr's make very good, rigid equipemnt at reasonable prices. Jst because you're cutting plastics does not mean you don't need a rigid piece of equipemnt.

Thanks for your encouragement guys! I appreciate it. cheers.gif

CNC Apps Guy, Hooray for you! I have nothing but true respect for anyone who will stand up for what they know is right!

Also, I had the same response as yours to my bosses gripe about me. Though I replaced "horsefeathers" with some slightly more colorful terminology!

I don't care if you are cutting butter with a hot knife, I at least want the knife to be rigid and well built, so the butter cuts smoothly! If I am going to do it, I want it done as well as physically possible and will not stand for mediocrity.