Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Insert cutters on Aluminum

TheePres

My prefered method of hogging alum. has always been to use biggest HSS cutter machine could handle and bulldoze the chips outta there. 3 months ago an Ingersoll rep convinced me to try/buy an insert cutter, and I never did get chance to try out this cutter until now. Well, of course sales guy is nowhere to be found now that i need his advice on how to use this thing.

Any advice you all could give on Feeds, speeds, DOC's, pocketing routines, etc...

Cutter is 1.25 Ingersoll Aluminator 0 degree, with .41 high inserts. Material is 7075 aprx 20x40x5.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

In all fairness, I'm pretty sure the Ingersoll guy moved. He's a class act and a very good technical guy. That being said, you can get the new Ingersoll guy's number from S&D Tool.

HSS??? That's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO old school.

MAX RPM and 250 IPM @ .120 DOC is where I'd start not knowing anything about your machine. Those cutters kick serious arse. You did not go wrong buying that tool... TRUST ME!!!

Been using the Iscar Heli-alu 1.25" 2 fl. with the 16mm inserts and their Click-Fit holder system. Because of a lack of spindle rpm, we only run it at 10k rpm, 228ipm, .25 depth, up to full slot width. This one reaches to 3.5" deep and has become our standard hogging tool. 40 taper, 30 horse, Vertical pallet machines.

Use the Iscar here too. 1.25 or 2.00 inch dia.

10-12 K 200- 250 ipm .250 depth full width.

Never seen an insert break or gall on these cutters. I think you can pretty much load to machine capacity and they can handle it.

Machine Specs:

Cat-40 spindle, 8000 rpm, 15-20 hp

200 PSI coolant (non-spindle-thru).

Yes, i agree, my outdated Old School methods won't work on these little toys eek.gif

Did not mean to infer Ingersoll guy skipped on me, Im sure he will be very helpful once i get him in here. Will start with numbers you all suggested and, and hopefully be cutting New School style soon.

Thanks All.

P.S. Running of Fanuc 0M datacard, and would be thrilled at say 300-400 IPM.