Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Buttress Threads

Matthew

Anyone ever turn Buttress threads? I've had a request for a bushing for a plastic 45 gallon drum which appears to have a buttress thread, approx 2", 5 TPI (.200 pitch). Just curious, for the one thread I've been asked to make (2 pcs), would I be best to grind up a HSS tool (will be turning delrin for the bushings)? Is there a form gage used to grind the tool to the proper size? I think I used one for ACME threads in trade school a while ago.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

We've done some buttress threads here. You'll have to use a custom tool, and gaging is going to be hard to come by. We had to have a custom go-nogo gage made, but you sure don't want to do that for two parts. Be very certain which buttress thread standard the customer wants, there are a few different ones with different angles. Then you'll either have to get friendly with your optical comparator or job it out to a cutter grinder like we do.

Yes very different angles. Standard is 7 deg but I have cut 0 deg and that just sucks. It was on 18" long 3/4 dia A2 toolsteel once I got the owner to switch to D2 it as better but still sucked. I would order the tool I think Micro-100 makes a swiss tool for a lathe. I would ask the customer for a mating part and go from there. The idea of the thread is one of strength. We were using them in a pipe bending application and they were about 75% stronger than the standard acme against shearing off.

HTH

[ 04-02-2007, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Crazy^Millman ]

One of the parts that I'm working on @ this moment has 12.225-10 BUTT-3B threads in it... We are getting them ground. Crazy is correct saying they are @ 7.0°... We are having a custom gage made for these threads.

All this guy wants is a bushing to go into a plastic 45 gallon drum with a 1 3/4" straight thread in the center (the 45 gallon drum has the buttress thread on it). I have a male and female of the thread so maybe I can duplicate it to a piece of HSS and cut the thread. He wants it turned out of Delrin so I don't really need to worry about it lasting too long.

Thanks for the info everyone!