Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

coolant through collets

mpmcnc

quote:

what's the [Eek!] about?

I think it's about using er collets for holding endmills. wink.gif

I don't recommend using them for anything other than drilling.

Swap er's with xt collets and nuts from command and you're resdy for milling.

And yes collant will spray thru regular (non coolant) collet.

quote:

You can only use it on lower speeds though.

Why is that Eric?

Regards, Mark

I havent had much luck using regular endmill holders. With just a setscerw holding the tool they tend to push up and pull out. We commonly run 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 endmills hanging out 4+ inches so collets have worked the best for us. I also have about 30 collet holders already so I would like to continue using them. As far as the FitZ Right holders go I looked into them and I have one beign shipped to me to try out but I found Techniks holders that are very similar and about $40.00 cheaper per holder and they are aslo balanced to 10000 RPM so I orderd a couple of those. The Fitz Right holders are not balanced at all.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I use Collets all the time. I detest side lock holders for anything other than hogging low and slow.

The only time I loos a tool in a collet chuck is if I do something wrong, don;t clean something completey, or something liek that. Then again, I use High Speed Machining Techniques ALWAYS...

JM2C

I'm with James....

quote:

I use Collets all the time. I detest side lock holders for anything other than hogging low and slow.

..... I detest sidelock holders in general.

quote:

Then again, I use High Speed Machining Techniques ALWAYS...

Ditto... wink.gif

There are some other methods to consider as well... Coolant thru endmills, coolant grooved endmills, some mill chucks are slotted at the sleeve, some shrinkers are coolant slotted, high end collet chucks like Mega chucks from Big Kaiser and a couple types from Lyndex/Nikken. But running coolant thru an ER collet has been done, is done, and works well... even better with 1000PSI...

cheers.gif

quote:

Why would that be? I don't recommend spinning a Weldon shank endmill holder at 15K if you like your spindle bearings. I run endmills in ER collets all day long and don't experience any problems. If I was doing super-aggressive machining or heavy stock removal I would definitely move up to a dedicated milling chuck, but for "general purpose" milling ER collets have done fine by me.

C

quote:

This is our rule as well.

We only have 7500-9000 rpm spindles so high speed machining is not an option. We have to "get after it" with high volume cuts.

We have Accupro, Lyndex, and Parlec ER32 Cat 40 holders. I can measure runout on an endmill then take a heavy cut, then recheck the runout and it will cahnge up to .001-.002 inch sometimes. We have also noticed less chatter and higher speeds/feeds with weldon style holders........But again with only 7500-9000rpm we don't have the option of highspeed machining.

BTW, for finish cuts the ER holders are fine.

quote:

I don't recommend spinning a Weldon shank endmill holder at 15K if you like your spindle bearings

LOL.

Neither do I.

I just said ER collets are NOT good for milling.

All we use here is nikken milling chucks and xt collets from command (for smaller tools). ER is exclusively for drills and taps.

As far as weldon shank endmill holder...well, what's that? wink.gif We have a few but rarely use it...

cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Nikken and Tecnara holders are my favorite, but Kennametal's higer end stuff works well also. They use different collets, shallow taper.

But if left to my own devises, I'd go with a shrink fit Big-Plus system.

I like collets. I use solid endmill holders also. For our 1" diameter ball carbide insert endmill I use a solid endmill holder and also have a .75" solid endmill holder - but no endmill for it yet (nevermind). But for the smaller diameter endmills, collets seem to me to be the better way to go.

Heard and read about the thru spindle coolants a little. Sounds interesting. Oh well, I just do it the olf fashioned way I guess. Gets kinda messy with no door guard but I don't have much of a choice for now. rolleyes.gif