Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe X2 MR1

Jeremy Grigsby

Has anyone had any issues with not being able to use some geometry as stock? I've had quite a few times where I try to select a chain. It shows the stock model, but its usually mirrored on the y axis. It usually has to do with having radiused corners on the geometry. In Sp1, I could select any on screen geometry that was in the form of a complete chain for my stock. Now I find myself modifying the geometry so it works correctly. It doesn't happen on every radiused corner profile so I haven't figured out exactly why it does. Also another issue that I have discussed with my reseller is an issue with certain toolpaths. Many of the parts at our shop are big in diameter (16") about 10"-12" long, with a 1 inch wall thickness on the diameter. Sometimes we have to face of 2-3" of material off the end of the tubing. In the past we have used a OD roughing techinique, and selected the 0 face as part of the OD geometry. This causes it to take the face off in the Z- direction instead of facing from the outside to inside in x-. We can still accomplish this first step in Mr1, however, when trying to program the subsequent boring operation, the roughing toolpath doesn't cut it. We chain the geometry in the id as we have done in the past and have it "use stock for outer boundary." When it processes, it does nothing on the toolpath. The screen kind of flashes like it does when its processing and no toolpath lines are created. It rendered many of our tabulated drawing part programs useless because we now have to reprogram those in the x- direction to get the stock off the faces. We like to keep most of the cutting pressures against the chuck to prevent parts from pulling out. We have to use lighter chucking pressures to maintain roundness. Can anyone else recreate this as our reseller did? I've heard that there will be no updates to mr1 until the next release of mastercam. If this is true, did our company pay for maintanance for no reason? If functionality has been taken out of the software in a MR, and we can't use it anymore, what did we pay for? Also, and I'm not sure if this is already in place, When I select a chain for a toolpath, is there anyway I can get the box that shows my chains to come up initially before I go to the toolpath parameters? Sometimes when finishing a face elsewhere on the profile of my part, I'd like to be able to "change side" on the chain. Many times it picks the wrong side of the geometry and I have no knowledge of it until I am done setting my "doc" and speeds, and apply the toolpath. Then I get lots of errors because the tool in plunging in on the backside of the material. Thanks. It's late, and I'm sleepy.

Jeremy

This weeked I tried using a solid as stock and had had all kinds of trouble.

Normal finishing cuts were OK, but roughing just

made one pass up in space.

I screwed around with it for a couple of hours

and was stepping through it, documenting it for a bug report when it started working properly.

Hey everybody, I read directions, and I know how to use the help file. I didn't see anywhere in either, a section that said you can't chain 1/3 of what you could in X2. I'm chaining simple geometry, and occasionally it does not understand it. I realize no one uses the lathe package except for a select few people, or at least it seems. I noticed the same thing working at my previous shop and using the engraving package. Things didn't work and no one knew about it. Maybe since I can't read the help file, could someone explain to me the acceptable 2d profiles I can use for stock definition, and what limitations there are to the changed roughing toolpaths and stock definition? Todd, if you could tomorrow, can you call me to explain the new stock definition, and walk me through how to make the software run the same toolpaths in did before the MR1 release? I'm at FM now.

I'll post the next file with geometry that doesn't work as per your example. There have been about three occasions in the last couple days that I picked the stock profile I wanted to use, and the outline of the area it has defined as stock has shifted in the X axis and is also mirrored in the X axis. If I remove a few radii, or change my stock geometry a little and rechain, it lays right overtop the geometry I've changed. All I have done to get this to happen is select geometry. I haven't changed settings as far as where it should conisder the stock located. How much stock chaining have you done in lathe since mr1 came out Gcode? I have to assume someone else would see this eventually if they do more complex geometry for stock than a rectangle.

quote:

I picked the stock profile I wanted to use, and the outline of the area it has defined as stock has shifted in the X axis and is also mirrored in the X axis

Is your stock geometry drawn on the same plane

as the the spindle centerline?? I can see this causing all sorts of trouble if it wern't.

quote:

If I
remove a few radii
, or change my stock geometry a little and rechain, it lays right overtop the geometry I've changed.

It sounds suspiciously like the arcs were not in the same view as the rest of the geometry. The next time this happens, try running 'Combine views' on the geometry to put all the arcs in the same view.

Ok, thanks Bob. I'll try that. And if I can reproduce one Todd, I'll send it over to you.

Any idea so far, Bob, on the issue with roughing a face in the z direction(OD rough toolpath), selecting the face geometry and then having it overlap the bores diamters. Hard to explain without a file I guess. I'll try to post one if I remember to bring a file home on my jumpdrive thing.