Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Moving to X2 finally

MLS

Yup, about time!

biggrin.gif

After poking around doing a fixture here and there for a year or so in X, and finally getting all of our post situations squared away and functional, I am moving to X2 from MC9.

Shouldn't be too big of a deal as it seems a pretty easy jump, but I was curious if anyone had any advice or suggestions.

File backup, check.

Transition info, check.

Tasty treat to dangle in front of Kannon, check.

*Chuckles*

I know the feeling Kannon. I was stuck on Version 6 for a couple years, after 9.1 was being released even.

At least 9.1 is capable...pretty solid I think.

Day 2

Did a fixture and drill jig before tackling a part. Start a part on Monday.

So far only about 3 irritating things, but it remains to be seen if these can be taken care of with configuration settings.

I'm curious if you can lock STL and NCI output settings. Then the automatic chaining doesn't seem to work on single?? Investigation necessary.

I'd say about 50% speed wise compared to V9 so far. I could see how it will be faster once I figure out where my icons are without having to look each time. Not to mention changing settings about 20 times throughout the day to get what I want.

Day 3

Did a Rev change part earlier this week with some minor changes. Brought the MC9 file in and modified it. Simple stuff.

Day 4 & 5

Did an opposite part of an existing one. Mirrored and reversed toolpaths for the most part. Some fairly extensive differences that required building some geometry...etc.

The Catread works about 10 times better now.

The edit common parameters working is priceless...Especially on WCS changes!

Building geometry I believe will be significantly faster. About 80% right now, with probably 70% overall efficiency comparatively.

Finally got my toolbars the way I want them I believe.

Had a few crashes, but haven't been able to isolate why yet. Also noticed the lag after having a file open and working on it for a significant amount of time. Yeah, that sucks.

A few pesky questions that warrants a new thread.

I opened MC9 to look at some paramaters and already have the yuck reaction. Heh. I thought you guys might have been exaggerating a bit when you said you will never look back. Consider me a believer now.

cheers.gif

• 1 month later...

So it's been a little over a month now.

On my 8th part now in X2 and this one is a nasty one. It's going to be all 5-axis toolpaths beyond the roughing and a little bit of keller work.

I experimented a little with the advanced 5-axis swarfing and have come to the conclusion that I am going to wait to play with that, and stick with building geometry.

The lag issue is somewhat irritating, but it doesn't seem to be tied much to file size like it was in MC9 which is encouraging. Keeping my fingers crossed that there is some advances made there.

One of my favorite new features is all the backplot functionality. Being able to segregate the passes of a surface rough pocket toolpath for example and see them depth by depth is really an advantage.

I don't think I am QUITE as fast as I was, but I opened MC9 the other day and got VERY frustrated even trying to navigate. I think in a month or two I should be there or past.

Really impressed with ability to go into a specific menu and be able to change options on the fly instead of backing up, moving forward, backing up...etc. The trim and geometry creation menus offer a real advantage here.

smile.gif

quote:

but I opened MC9 the other day and got VERY frustrated even trying to navigate. I think in a month or two I should be there or past.

Told ya'

biggrin.gif

It happens, especially if you stick with it.

A bit more seat time and you'll be cruisin' like you never fell off that horse.

cheers.gif