Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ok you old timers

Chris.L

Ya Bernie.....I made plenty of stickles biggrin.gif

Heck you could sink a whole mold with stickles and a panagraph...crank down .003-5...run over whole model. Repeat the process for about a week lol....

Used to have an angle chart that showed the angles for the tool cutter grinder on the 3 and 4 sided ones.

.00005....used to hold that all the time...in closed environment back in the 70's on diode molds... the chase that held the .02 wire had to be perfect, they checked our parts with a 200:1 microscope...we used a 50:1 comparitor for checking the form on the grinding wheels.

My computer back then was a calculator that would barely fit on my toolbox...lol...

Had the privilage of working with some very talented people...

How many here cut threads on a mill with a single pointed tool, by hand turning a jig that you could replace the nut and screw for the pitch you wanted?

Ahhh the good 'ol days...

Knowing what that jig was for actully gor me a job when I moved to Texas from NC.

The Boss opened the cabnet and asked me if I knew what that was. First time I saw one was in Fletcher NC in a mold shop there.

He hired me on the spot...

This just makes me feel even older.... frown.gif

So many times I have heard that we are just dinosaurs waiting for the big comet from the sky to come and wipe us out... I see apprentices getting papers for trades that have never even used a mill or a lathe to be come competant enough to make a square block let alone turn a thread.

Unfortunately the general business census now is to put someone on a machine and just let them run it till they move on and then get another person to replace them when they do.

Hrmmm well I gues that's another word for it.

biggrin.gif

I would take a piece of graphite and grind my wheel form in it and then use the..... ehhmmm.... "Shadowgraph" to check my radius.

They held us to +/- 50 millionths on a .01 radius...

That job brought in about 600k per year in 1979.

My how things have changed...

Where did all the money in this trade go anyways headscratch.gif

Murlin, My ole man refused to call a comparitor a "comparitor". I guess it's kinda like calling a refrigerator an "Icebox"

On this note, I wonder how many of the newbs even know how to read vernier calipers, let alone run parts to .00005 headscratch.gif

Ron, the tricks for compounds require trig, which started this thread.....

There are a lot of things like that for "milking" more accuracy out of a machine.

I still use positive approach when doing super accurate work. Not much need on machines with scales, but it's still kinda habit.

we have a shaper in our shop. it must date to 1955. the owner just raves and raves about how he could do this and that with it. i've seen this boat anchor for over 2 1/2 years now and not once has it even been powered up. and to think the average age in our shop is 55+. all geniuses if you ask me. but not one of them wants to run it.

ROFL Robert!! biggrin.gif

Hey I had a shaper/planer with a 10 ft bed on it...the thing weighed about 25k lbs.

Had double heads on it. a cool machine.

I had the scrap yard come out one day and drag it out the door to make room for my first 3-axis CNC vert.

They cut it into peices and hauled it off...

It was pretty cool in it's day.

I could take a piece of HHS and cut a #9 chip that when it hit the wall it would put dents in the tin, cut depth about 1/2".

And that was on high nickle alloy steel...

quote:

Ever cut a mould using a manual Rotary Table

Several times, but when you had to get really close, I would dis-enguage the worm gear and tool off a small hole on the top of the block that would get cut away...

I used my 21" for machining some rotars for my wind turbine last year.

Going to use it on a mould for the stator in a couple weeks

story21.jpg

story24.jpg

quote:

I had a verier scale angle protractor.

My Starret is still in its wood box in my rollaround...

Quote; On this note, I wonder how many of the newbs even know how to read vernier calipers.

We have engineering students who constantly want to check out "verniers" for some project. Then when I hand them one they say "No, I want a digital or dial vernier" at which point I have to educate them on what vernier means.

very interesting thread. I don't consider myself really "old school", I ran manual machines, mills, grinders, a little lathe work for 10-12 years before getting into CNC programming, but do know or have done some of what was mentioned here.

sometimes I miss the manual work, just not the idiots working over in the shop now. I can't stand all their bellyaching and whining they do.

cheers.gif

quote:

How many of you out there have a shop full of machinists that can truly run a jig bore (to .00005), a surface grinder, ID/OD grinder, custom grind edges on their tools (by hand on a pedestal grinder), know how hard to HT A2, etc, etc.

Don't forget machining a helical ramp around a tapered core pin for a mold in a bridgeport, or thread milling a pipe thread(with shrink in a mold cavity) on a standard bridgeport or thread grinding a "multi-lead" pipe thread on a heat treated core pin again with shrink on a standard surface grinder rolleyes.gif pretty brain smokin stressfull stuff...don't miss those days at all, give me Mastercam and CNC !! for that stuff. Am still doin the .0001 jig bore work (readout is to 50 mill) cause its where I have ended up, not neccessarily that I like it, being a small shop can't get too particular yet.... just got done with a gage that held .0001 on six holes (jig grind head in boring head) stressful... haven't had time to hook up air dryer for jig grinder, will have to next month as got a batch of gages with holes that tol. Shops are soooo much better today, equipment and air conditioned. Just not as profitable as in times past.