Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fast laptop

Roger Peterson

my current Dell M70 has a 7200 rpm hard drive. When looking at the M90's I was suprised to see that was still the fastest, not even any 10k's. Do they make 10K 2.5" hard drives? It was brought up in the benchmark thread about the flash hard drives being very fast. Apparently you can get a 32gb flah hard drive for ~$700.00. I don't want to be the first to try it but that could make a big difference in a couple of years.

Keith, I look forward to seeing your times. There has been quite a range of times in the benchmark thread. Some of which were very suprising, on both ends of the spectrum.

Josh, it's more than likely the ATI graphics card, but people are getting them to work with X much, much better than version 9. Try searching for radeon, maybe something will pop up???

I have a 2-year old MSI 1029 with an AMD Turion ML-40 processor, 2g ddr2 ram, 60g 7200 rpm drive, ATI X700 graphics card. It benchmarked Roger's file at 10 min 31 secs.

I was surprised to see the Dell M90's are not much faster, because I was thinking of buying one. Now, I'd say it isn't worth it, except for being able to run 2 instances of X2...

On the other hand, a little research turned up some laptops that run desktop processors, and one that will be able to run the quad-core Intels...

Now THAT should speed up laptop ops in X2 considerably. I can dig up the link if anyone is interested.(Clevo D900C from Eurocom)

Available now are Intel and AMD desktop dual-cores with GTX 7950 or Quadro FX3500 cards in dual-SLI config, with 2 160g 7200 rpm drives in RAID 0 or 3 in RAID 5 ... zippy indeed! But not cheap... $2500 to $4500 with 6800 Extreme CPU, 2GPU's, 4g ram,3 160gb 7200 RAID 5, etc. !

Like racing- speed costs money- how fast do you want to go?

Being on a budget sucks. Guess I'll just tape my monitor to the side of my desktop and stick a handle on it...

That's good to here.

I am getting ready to order a custom HP from Costco based on the dv9000t series. I will save about $350 with better warranty and if it doesn't work the way I want, I have 6 mo. to take it back no questions asked. smile.gif