Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Depth of cut help in 6061

New Job

I need to rough out a mold cavity in 6061, and I am going to be using an 1" end mill with 2 (.375) round inserts. I normally run this tool @ 5000 rpm, 200IPM @ .025" D.O.C.. However this mold is going to run a lot longer than I normally like them too. My best option for speeding this up is to increase my D.O.C.

Any body have any recommendations on what they do in this situation.

Boss has imposed an 80% of spindle MAX limit on me. I cannot program any faster than 6400 RPM. The insert is ad-defacto nauseum gonna stay as HIS choice for roughing inserts. Testing shows that the 5000 rpm @ 200 IPM runs good with .025 D.O.C.

Considering I'll be giving notice soon I guess I'll just leave it and let him fuss about the cycle time.

I run a 3/4 2 flute sandvik with 2 inserts in alum molds everyday fortunately boss has no clue what I do has long as jobs are done. 8600 rpms, at 360imp at .065 depth of cut, I cut some pretty big vacuum cavities and very seldom does something take more than 2 hours to rough.IT IS LOUD THOUGH. If thats your only option I would def increase DOC< at .025 with a round insert you have a small chip load, I would go at least .06 to .075 and keep the coolant at the chip evac area as much as possible.

quote:

Considering I'll be giving notice soon I guess I'll just leave it and let him fuss about the cycle time.

me too. Have salary gig, work 50-60 hrs per week, had food poisoning and missed 4 days, got my check and was docked for the 4 days. When I asked about it, I was told that he didn't have to pay me when off for med reasons. I said so the 50-60 hours a week for the past 9 months means nothing, answer "yep". I mentioned that I wanted to take a week of vacation in june, was told I had to complete full year before vacation is allowed 1 week for first 2 years, 2 weeks after 3 complete years. I asked him what his idea of salary was and he said taking an extra 30-45 minutes for lunch without anything being said. I stared job hunting as soon as I got home. I wanted to walk out when I got my docked check but the old lady wouldn't let me.