Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CUT AND PASTE OPS

dprovost71

There seems to be a problem with the cut and paste of operations.

I cut and pasted operations everything seemed fine. Posted and saved it.

I had to make a change and when I reopened the file the operations I had cut and pasted were dirty and it duplicated all the tools in those firebounce.gif ops...it was a mess.

Work around is not to use cut & paste. Use the copy and paste,, then go back and delete the unwanted ones. Or the drag method can be used without losing the files integrity.

firebounce.gif

quote:

Maybe we can come up with some fixes or work arounds until they get fixed.

To be honest and not to be the doughnut hole I don't think there is a work around for these problems. They are at times very hard to reproduce and I've already posted threads talked to my reseller talked to CNC with no resolution. I also understand their everyones difficulty in solving a problem without having the facts surrounding the cause. I have worked for years with Mastercam as most of us have and have delt with issues and have been happy when a work around is available. This is not saying that I am complacent with the quircks in the software, I try to be a pro active as possible right down to working on the other side of the fence for the local reseller for a couple of years.

I've tried to get a sounding of this problem from other users on the forum so that we maybe able to find something common but there has been very little responce other that CNC suggesting that I become a "Beta Tester". I'm not really sure why this was suggested considering I feel at times I am beta testing the software.

quote:

Care to elaborate?

The OP manager seems to be unstable particularly when tha file size is large 100MB or more (ie. confused ,loses its structure, has a brain fart)

I not going to even presume that I can understand why or how these problems are present or persist and I am sure that there are more peolple than the handfull that have acknowledged the instability. I just know that they exist and are persistant.

Thad,

Again not to be a pessimist but I know if they knew what the problem was they would/could fix it, but so far I don't think there has been enough people complaining about the problem. I am not in the business of dealing with constant inadequacies of the tools that I use. I'm in the business of producing in the most efficient cost effective manner. i.e. If the tool is broken and can't be fixed so that it works as intended, replace it with one that does work.

quote:

Mark thats great and I'm glad that that works for you. That solution/work around will not work for me.

How many ops/toolpaths do you typically create per file?

The last file was only 20 operations when I first had problems, but I'm up to 32 toolpaths (and growing) as we speak... but some of my files contain 100+ toolpaths.

Keith,

I have this problem periodically on large 100mg+

files

and a solution to get by is to separate components

in its own mcx file, after you done with

the geometry editing, p/l etc.

EX: part01cor.mcx

part01cav.mcx

part01slide.mcs

part01coreinsert.mcx

It doesen't take much time to separate them

and i feel that paths crunch quicker if the

file are smaller this way.

I just keep a copy for the original model in

each file, in setup position to the component on

the cnc, so I can implement Engineering changes

with out confusion.

A bit of a PITA but CNC has to know of this

inconvenience.

(i have had 1 component create 100mg + file

and have to deal with that.)

HTH

Rick,

Those are great suggestions and I do this already to a degree when needed (Such as the job I'm doing right now). The 250MB file is one mold plate. 2 Solid models original and a copy that is scaled for heat treat shrink. I abandoned selecting the solid model for the 2 1/2 ops and drilling right out of the gate choke...choke..sputter...gag! I find that using the solid geometry even for the simplest toolpaths is a PITA and a waste of time, you are better off going back to wireframe and not bother with the soild assocativity....waste of in that respect money especially when certain Solidworks integrated solutions it works awesome and quick.

I have noticed problems only with Surface High Speed Toolpaths. Has anyone had problems with copyingcuttingpasting of other types toolpaths?

Just trying to narrow it down.

As far as solids... For doing toolpaths, I convert everthing to surfaces as well - saves a lot of time.