Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

wireframe problem

balnh

Hello,

When i create curves all adges of an IGES to get my wireframe, all arcs and holes have duplicates. They really arent duplicates because when i analyze the arcs seperately they have different locations and diameters but only varying by .0003-.001. all the models are clean solidworks models. One part had .885 diameter arc on it analyzed the 2 arcs and one was .894 the other .885. Am i missing some thing when i create curves? Oh MC version 9 any help would be appreciated.

That is a save as option in Solidworks, since you're on V9 saving it as v13 Parasolid should be good.

I would request that your customer sends you this in this format.

thanks for your help i want to do this for monday i cant contact customer. Is this something that you have seen before. I did it to 2 iges files and got the same results. is there another way of making a wireframe from an iges? thanks again

If you want to send me the Iges I'll reimport it back into SW and try to export it out as a parsolid, see if it'll clean up at all for you.

You could export out of MC as a parasolid and try to reimport as well and see what that does for you you.

remember .iges = I guess

John is right (as usual)

Native SW files are the best IMO. John, can V9 not import SW files? I remember doing that (I think). This will not help for this weekend, but maybe in the future.

I also import solids with the edge geom. This way I don't have to create any. Was this an option in V9 as well? Been a long time since I used V9.

When you import the SW file as an igs, you get surfaces instead of a solid. Then when create curves all edges, the reason you get "duplicates" is because MC is creating curves on the edges of the vertical hole walls as well as the edge around the hole of the surface the hole punches through. The .0003-.001 dufference in arc size is because of the igs file tolerance. You might try getiing the customer to send parasolid or native SW files to see if you can get cleaner geometry when creating curves on all edges, as the others here are suggesting. Personally, to avoid this problem, I always just create curves>one edge on any surface edges I need geometry off of to avoid having any extra un-needed wireframe that I wont be using

quote:

That is one of the biggest reasons we pay the maint. Have to keep up to date with cust files too.

You'd be amazed at the amount of people I meet that just don't get that part of it.

If your customers are staying on the "cutting" edge you'd likely better be too.

Thanks for your help guys i am going to talk to my boss about file formats. I think i can get it done but there is 53 holes with +-.002 locations. I will just have to clean up the wireframe by deleting the extra arcs so i dont mask the wrong ones. Again thanks for the help guys.

You could convert your surfaced model to a solid and create the wireframe from the solid.

.X_T is a better option, like Pinky said.

or like Zero said,

"I always just create curves>one edge on any surface edges I need geometry off of to avoid having any extra un-needed wireframe that I wont be using."

cheers.gif

Zero is dead on. Creating edge curves from surfaces is always "sloppier" that from a solid. If you had a rectangular solid and created curves on all edges, you'd get 12 lines. If you had the same thing except it was made of surfaces, you'd end up with 24 lines. Each face of the surface has 4 edges. Some of these are shared, as Zero pointed out.

You always get cleaner wireframe from solids.

Thad