Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help! Chatter using 3 flute finisher on Aluminium Part

m_morgan

I'm trying to finish a part with pocket walls 25mm(1") tall by 2mm (0.080") thick using waterlining, and a 3 flute mitsubishi carbide endmill. I'm taking 0.5mm (0.020") off the wall, and stepping down in 3mm increments.

Currently the speed and feed is S25000rpm F10000mm/min (400imp) and it's chattering like mad as it gets toward the middle (least supported) sections of the wall.

Help! I was hoping to reduce chatter, not make more of it!

Speeds and feeds are fine unless your hitting corners hard then might bump down the feed a bit.

Three things.

One.

Biggest thing. Use a sharp to .03 R cutter to melt down to the fillet then come back in and cut the fillet staying off the wall .001 to .002 The radius on the cutter adds a huge amount of pressure.

Two.

Leave more excess on the wall. .100 inch approx and take a semi-finish(+.02) cut, then finish THEN take a step down.(.100 max on that DIA cutter) OR Leave the same excess (.100) and take a max .06 step down and go straight to finish( you can even increase the feed if you do this).

Three

Shorter is better. Solid relieved shank carbide with a short LOC is best.

You should be able to cut a wall twice as tall and half the thickness like this without chatter assuming the machine is up to it.

Brilliant guys! Will do a bit of re-programming using a square finishing cutter, and come back in to put the rad on last.

Semi-finish then finish also sounds like a reasonable idea.

Lots of testing to do now, but I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thank you very much for all your help guys!