Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X-X2 machine defs.

spade117

During the switchover, somehow my machine definitions are different. I updated them all to what I had previously.

I notice that my coolant settings don't hold when I start a new toolpath.

And when I create a new tool, it does not automatically assign a new tool number sequentially. <----this I can't seem to find where I had it set, so I don't have to check the tool settings box every time.

Any remedies?

quote:

assign a new tool number sequentially.

If your talking about on the Tool settings page- click on files-the ! beside Operation defaults and scroll up to the tool settings (under properties)page and set it there. If that's not what you mean, sorry I don't know the answer.

The settings you would like to change are actually in the Mill_Inch.defaults file, not in the machine or control definition files themselves. The post above mine shows where to change this in the control definition, but you could also copy your Mill_Inch.defaults file manually from the old location to the new if you would prefer. If you've spent any time changing defaults for each operation type you might save some time by copying the file itself rather than trying to modify the new defaults file to match the old.

If your X directory was c:mcamx, you will find the file in c:mcamxmillops

Just copy this to the same path in the new X2 directory (ie. c:mcamx2millops). Your paths may be different, but this is the general idea.

quote:

What I'm saying is it doesn't stay as a setting if I close out and open a new file.

I use span's method with the control def.

If it's anything like the way it worked in V9, once you have a file saved with number seq. turned on or off, those settings stuck with that file regardless of what your default settings say. You had to open the file, make the change within that file, and resave. Then it would stick. Are you opening files that have already been saved the way you don't like them Spade?

When X first came out, I recall this happening. Our files are "prepped" for us with a seat of design. We don't like the tools numbered seq. so our mill seats have the setting unchecked. The design seat doesn't have that option since it's a machining setting (or somesuch). Since the default setting is to number them seq., all files came out that way and there seemed no way to turn it off. We ended up having to edit the settings on a mill seat, then use it in design. Even though the settings couldn't be used in design, they still got read and "polluted" our files. I don't remember all the details but that ended up fixing it. I posted here about our problem so if this happens to fit your situation, you can search for it.

Thad

Are you opening by way of Mastercam/ file/ open.Then navigate to your operation Defaults .Then make your changes.Thats the way mine will take changes.Going througe my control definition manager doesn't save settings on my

computer I think it's a glich in the system.I hope this helps.

tonyc,

In the toolpath manager, try going in to your Machine Group Properties - Files and click the "!" by the defaults file. You can make changes there and they'll stick. There you can also edit your tool and operations library by clicking the appropriate "!". When you exit out, they will automatically be saved. There is no prompt.

Thad

FWIW, just to clarify -- there's two ways to edit your .defaults file:

One, click the "!" button in the Machine Group Properties > Files page.

Two, use the Operation Defaults page in the Control Definition Manager.

Both do exactly the same thing. Use whichever is most convenient for you.

Your .defaults file also saves defaults for many machine group properties, like the tool numbering method.

Coolant defaults are tricky, because you can create custom coolant options in your machine def. When you edit your defaults file, and click the Coolant button to set default coolant options, it shows you generic coolant options from the default MMD -- because you can use the same .defaults file with many different machines, Mastercam can't assume anything else. If the options in the .defaults file don't match the options that are available in the machine definition, you might not get the values you expect.

HTH,

Robert