Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High speed machining

RACINGCONVERTERS

I am looking for some insight on maching 1018 crs in a high speed manor. I have heard that it can be done but I do not know anything about it.

Is anyone in here doing it?

How are you doning it?

I am just trying to find new approaches to some of the parts that we make and any information would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes any machine can take lighter cuts faster, but accurately, rigidity, and correctly are majors factors. CAM (you have), a rigid machine with High RPM, a fast contoller (fanuc 16i,18i,21i, heid430,530tnc, seimens 840D are a few), good tooling are all factors, without any one of them it puts a stick in your spokes.

You beat with your last post, you can do it with an ss to some extent your not cutting anything heat treated, you wont be using a 2" toriod at 4800 rpms 120ipm at .125 doc.

You can help your HAAS a bit with better tool holders.

Nikken has endmill chucks with split tapers that face contact your spindle and a better fit in your spindle, some tools require less pressure with the same feed. I wouldnt recomend getting to wild with your HAAS but you can do some things to help it.

Wow, I would be running with a bull nose in crs in the 600sfm range the down side to your app is tool length, all though I would start using the longer reach with less flute, the cutters with stub flute way out perfom longer flutes because the tool core is sacrificed for flute length. Oh also are you roughing with that small of a chip load?

I've got a steel job here. I've been playing with some high-speed techniques in my VF2ss.

Profile cutting: 3/8 dia AlTiN 5-flute endmill. .77 z-depth (stock thickness), .062 stepover. Dry

7130rpm (700 sfm)

feedrate: 210ipm (.006 fpt)

I'm sure some air-blast would help my tool-life, but even without, same endmill moved around 75lbs of HRS.

With your machining parameters, there are really two ways to go. You could use a Hanita Vari-mill at full depth with 50% stepover or you could use one of the new feedmills from Jabro, Millstar, Pokolm-Voha, etc. I have run the 3/8 dia. at 8000 rpm, .013 doc and 250 ipm. Lasts forever in H13, I can only imagine you would get great results in 1018.

+1 for feed mill

iscar makes an interchangable tip (multimaster) and they are great

8000 rpm .015 DOC 400 ipm (max of my machine!)

even with extra lonf shank they wont vibrate but you will get lot of deviation due to shank rigidity and speed

with a 2in cutter i can easily reach 10in deep without problem !

To keep this good thread going...

I am going to be finishing some P&W engine mounts made out of 15-5 Stainless and was hoping to get some opinions on speeds and feeds. The stuff Rockwells at about 40HRC. I am going to be machining them on an OKUMA horizontal 50 taper.

The part is a pretty basic shape with mostly open pockets on it and I am going to try to use the High Speed Waterline and High Speed Horizontal finish paths for the first time.

The tool I am using will be 3/4" coated carbide with .25r. It will have to stick out of the holder about 2.75".

What kind of surface speed and FPT do you guys think I should be able to run? I am going to use .2" stepdowns on the waterline toolpath, .070" radial then .030" radial for the final finish pass.

Any comments would be really helpful.

Thanks

Kevin C. smile.gif