Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling point to point

Thee Rickster ™

I want a drill pattern to drill the selected

entities exactly how I have selected them.

In that order.

I select sorting, point to point, and then select

the entities.

It always drill them in some random order.

I believe its called over the dang place. banghead.gif

When I go to reselect them the drill point manager

window says "sort state off" How do you turn that

on? Does it need to be on?

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Rick

I'm having the same problem as you. But it only seems to happen when I select sorting, point to point and have the entities button selected. If I choose the holes with the arrow button selected, which is "select drill point position in the graphics screen", then it works o.k. for me. Just a work around for now.

----------------------

Shawn

If you use the entity option to select drill points, the points will be sorted it the order they were created. This seems silly to me, but, whatever.

As Shawn stated, using the arrow button should drill them in the order you select them.

Thad

If I simply choose my points, without selecting any of the options when the drill point selection window opens, they are drilled in the order I choose. If I select "entities" then it sorts the points in the order they were created, like Thad said. If I "window" the points it also seems to select in the order they were created.

edit: I'm using X2 MR2. I just realized I haven't updated my profile

As stated when you use the "manual arrow button" the drill path will go in the order you picked the points. That is if Point Sorting is set to off.

When you go into "Sorting" and choose "Point to Point", you are prompted to "Select sorting start point". After you pick the point you want to start with Mastercam then finds the shortest path to drill the selected points.

In all of the other selection methods Mastercam drills the holes in database creation order. That can be overridden with any of the 17 sort methods.

More or less if you want them in a certain order pick them manually with "Point Sorting: OFF".

This has worked this way for quite a while.

HTH

Steve

HTH

I drill ejection holes in molds so they are not

'created' in the order I want them selected for

drilling.

I don't use points, i select hole entities.

so the arrow is not in my options to select.

it wont snap to arc centers using arrow for

some reason. unless i zoom in on each hole...grrr

Seems like a waste of time selecting 70 holes

individually if window does the same inefficient

path.

Rick

[ 10-25-2007, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

If you do not like the order you can also manually sort them yourself. Just click on "Geometry" for your op in the op manager. This brings up "Drill Point Manager" you can then drag and drop points up and down in the list. Sometimes sort will get close then a few points can be moved manually to get what you want. This also works for chains in contour ops.

Walt

Drill point Selection/Enter tolerance for size of arc to be selected/Mask on arc/select the arc to be masked or drilled/Window your drawing (not window button!) just window with mouse./enter,and all the arcs on your drawing with in the tol. you set are selected./Sorting button, and wella..

Dan.