Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

adv 5ax help please...

Steve Hattori

I am having some trouble trying to restrict a toolpath to only cut where the tool will physically reach. I have tried many variations of drive and check surf selections, and many gouge check options, but it still cuts where it should not, like its ignoring check surfs.

How would I best provide a sample of the part here for anyone to look at.?

Afraid my ignorance is showing...

x2mr1 L3 adv5x

check out SALINAS VALLEY 1_TREVOR.MCX in the X2 folder. hopefully this is what you will need. the biggest difference from your toolpath to mine is that i used TRIMMED surfaces and a single CHECK surface. i dont know if the depth i sel3ected is deep enough for you or not, i just wanted to add something in for you to see how to work it.

are you sure that you need that type oif toolpath for that geometry? where you just experimenting, which i strongly encourage.

if you have other questions, let me know.

Trevor, thanks for the response! I am using a 5x strategy because I don't want to hang 3/8 tool out 5 in to reach everywhere it has to go-rather use a short tool in stiff holder and tilt it to reach the bottom without crashes. Also, maybe, just because I can...haha. I will look at your tp and I'm sure it will help.

thanks

Trevor, that is what I wanted...can you tell me why you used a surface instead of the solid? My experience is that the solid is a cleaner model, when I convert to surfaces, it leaves gaps at all the edges that eventually show up in the toolpath. Maybe it's me...

Thanks again, I will use your example with the rest of the part.