Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Keeping it organized?

neurosis

Ok, im starting to try to accept the fact that I am going to have to create a ton of construction geometry to create my tool path from models. May I ask anyone willing to give some examples of how they keep all of this construction geometry organized and what steps it takes to do so? Do you create seperate construction geometry for most every operation due to split and chain requirements? Levels? Groups? different Z levels? colors? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is a big part of what I think a good tutorial book should but doesnt cover. The tutorials always have parts that are in a perfect situation where no construction geometry or other manipulation is required.

Thank you.

Very good point. What I do is create the tool path geometry on different levels from the part geometry. I use a different level for each tool in the process that I create geometry for. With the unlimited levels now available I find this to be the easies way for me. That way I can use quick mask to turn these levels on and off. I mainly use one color for all of the tool path geometry so it contrasts with the part geometry.

quote:

create a ton of construction geometry to create my tool path from models

I would question this notion a bit. A ton???

some perhaps. I have done some pretty complex stuff and needed to only to create what I felt was minimal geometry.

I generally do OP1 on levels 1 - 100

OP2 on 200 - 299

OP3 on 300 - 399

I use higher level for stock and or tooling and the WCS to get around all of my operations

Haha. Sorry, a "ton" may have been going a bit overboard. Im sure the construction geometry needed for me will lessen as I get more familiar with the system. Right now I am having to create construction geometry just to mill steps in vice jaws using a pocket routine. Also coming from a system that requires almost "NO" construction geometry having to create any is a ton to me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I typically segregate my toolpath geometry by level. 50-59 op1 60-69 op2 etc. and name them as to what they are for. Rough, Flange finish, holes, etc.

On really complex parts I may have 30 levels with drive geometry only, but I probably create more geometry than many because I like the control it gives me. To me an extra 10 hours of work on my end to save 10 minutes of run time per part at the machine is worth it despite it being a pain sometimes.

I place everything on seperate levels and name them.

Level 1 solid with no edge curves (grey)

Level 2 wireframe stock (green)

Then I create all my toolpath geometry on seperate levels using red starting at level 3 and I name them. I select my depths directly from the solid. Instead of creating surfaces for 3D toolpaths I usually select faces on the solid. This eliminates extra geometry. I put fixtures and other eye candy on level 100+ and name them.

I like to create edge flanges and stuff like that. I typically use a containment border with the cutter constrained to the center of the border line. Which is in the center of the flange. If I don't set up a flange normal to the surface sometimes it will want to jump down in certain spots. Organization is the key. Definitely takes more time, but makes me feel more comfortable.

Just name your levels appropriately to what it

applies to.

For my molds I do this

lvl 1 - core setup

lvl 2 - core surfs

lvl 3 - core wire

lvl 4 - core bnds

lvl 5 - core mnt pats

lvl 6 - core spare

lvl 10 - cav setup

lvl 11 - cav surfs

etc

lvl 20 - core insert 1 setup#1

lvl 21 - core insert 1 surfs

etc

lvl 30 - core insert 1 setup#2

lvl 32 - core insert 1 surfs#2

etc

lvl 40 - slide setup #1

etc

Once you do it once you can export it as mivrsoft

excel file .csv

then you can customize it in office for any common

scenario you use

excell.jpg

I always have a core cav minimum and how ever many

slides and inserts it has i import that file.

so when you start a new file and you know how

many and what components are in the job, you right

click inside the lvl manager and import the

appropriate excel file

HTH