Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

UG converter

jeff

I don't have the UG converter, but I do have the Parasolid converter which reads UG solids just fine as Iges does for surfaces & wire. Depends on how many UG files you plan to convert & how deep are your pockets. Just another option to consider. Also, ask if you have to buy an upgrade every time UG uprades. (I've heard the next version will be UG/IDEAS)

My 2 cents.

It's Kinda like (Parasolid + IGES)

It works pretty good if you have the Mastercam Soilds option.

As of yet it does not read Curves, only Points and Lines. Do you need to read Curves?

If you don't have Mastercam Soilds the converted Surfaces loses the UG Layer and Color. Is that important?

It's a good tool to have.

wink.gif If the customer requires you to read UG.

frown.gif customer does not know how to make or get a Parasolid file.

mad.gif customer does not like to use IGES.

tongue.gif Go Native!

Ernie

so what you're saying is,

my customer can convert a ug file to parasolid,send it to me and i can open it using the parasolid converter?

if that's the case then i'm set.

loss of color and layers aren't a problem.

i just need to be able to read the file and work off of it.

Jeff

We considered the ug converter. for around the same price we purchased solid edge part and assembly .Solid edge is a unigrapics product that reads .prt files also step . Mastercam can read native solid edge part files .It may be worth considering this option .You may have further use for solid edge .We use it for tool design.

We also have solid edge and at first we were doing the samething, bringing parts in to solid edge, saving them, then opening them up in M.C. But then for some reson I started getting a "no parasolid data found" error when I would try to bring it in to M.C., I never could figure out why, so then we started using IGES but was always missing surfaces here and there, then we went to having the U.G. guys convert it to Parasolids and now my life is MUCH easier. By the way we did have our M.C. rep demo the U.G. converter and it was no diffrent than the FREE Parasolid.

Just thought I would put my 2 cents worth in.

The UG convertor supports toolpaths? From UG Cam I assume. That would be a neat trick can you post a sample file I think we would all like to see that one. The UG converter works OK but does not support face colours or compressed files. The compressed files are supported by Solid edge. Check it out on your files, I've seen way to many compressed UG files to recomend it without testing it on your typical files.

Allan