Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Constant Velocity/SFM?

MultiAxGod

I am looking to modify an operation in our process to apply constant velocity/SFM to the process. I am hoping that I can easily manipulate this without writing a macro and post.

The paths are done as wireframe contours, X and Y motion only. Cutter is a large dia. side mill, multiple insert cutter. Part is done as a solid and the stock is a separate solid, so the amount of cut can be easily seen by the system.

The stock is a known diameter that gets a counterweight style profile cut.

I would like to be able to do this thru the software without having to write a macro at the machine (Makino/Fanuc) and having to write a post to output the variables.

1. Is this feature available currently in the software and I just can't find it?

2. Is it already done as a C Hook Program?

Any ideas?

Just a simple man with a simple plan!

Mcam X2-MR2-SP1

Mill Level 3

Lathe Level 1

Solids

5 Axis

quote:

go to your toolpath parameters, and under tool settings, select 'adjust feed on arc move'.

Thanks for the quick response guys. cool.gif

Will the 'adjust feed on arc move' adjust for linear movement as well? And are there any 'conditions' in the post that need to be turned on to take advantage of this?

Does anyone have any experience with Volumill or CIMCO's HSM? I was reading thru another post where the suggestion was made to use Mcam's HSM, so I will experiment with this also.

The cut is an outside contour/profile, not a pocket. As I have been going thru the Volumill website, all focus is on pocketing. Cut depth varies from approx. 1/4" up to 1 3/4" deep. Cut is currently taken in one pass. Material is a special alloy very similar to machining 4340SS@45R.

Mcam X2-MR2-SP1

Mill Level 3

Lathe Level 1

Solids

5 Axis

quote:

What about highfeed. It will vary the feedrate of a toolpath based on the volume of the material being removed.

I am going to watch the video and see what I might do differently. I have tried it, but not with the feedrate actually being changed due to the stock amount. It has changed it based upon the length of cut. It also won't recognize my solid stock model and I have had to make an .stl for it to "see" the stock. If I can't get it to code right after watching the demo, then I'll post pics and code results.

I was wondering about the CIMCO-HSM, looked at the web site for both it and volumill, but they seem to be focused around pocketing, not an outside contour!

I'll be back!! LOL banghead.gif

Mcam X2-MR2-SP1

Mill Level 3

Lathe Level 1

Solids

5 Axis

Here's an odd duck!!!

According to the help screen I should have a material removal rate tab under the highfeed machining dialogue screen. I don't! But the field definition are under the optimization tab and it turns out the field definitions that are supposed to be under the optimization tab are not in the dialogue box at at all?

Something smells fishy here!

Mcam X2-MR2-SP1

Mill Level 3

Lathe Level 1

Solids

5 Axis

Cimco-hsm will do 2d contours and pockets as well as 3d core and area roughing. Here is a video that I posted a while back doing a 2d contour. I have been able to achieve incredible feedrates. One part made of 416SS at 28Rc I was able to run a 3/8 7 flute AlTin EM at 195IPM, .75deep cut, .025 step over. We will save approximately $4000/yr on this one part alone, also the tool life and costs are lower with this toolpath. Cimco-hsm has a 30 day demo available. I would suggest trying it out. I can't say enough good things about it.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r285/DS...adaptive-2d.flv

Yes, it works like the HST toolpaths. You can define stock by 2d boudaries or you can use a STL. From the screenshot it looks like you are trying to use a slot cutter at one depth to cut a cam type shape? This toolpath in Cimco-hsm would stay at one depth and shave/peel mill the difference between the stock and the part.

I am at home tonight, but if you can put the file on the ftp I could try running a Cimco toolpath in the morning so you could see what it would look like. You would not be able to edit the toolpath without a Cimco license, but you could verify/post it.

I'm trying to get the file to the FTP site, but not having much success. I will probably go ahead and get the trial of the CIMCO-HSM while I'm waiting to find out why my Highfeem machining doesn't work properly. I have been to where you work years ago when I lived in KC. Great town. Hope to be back in the area soon, tired of CA.

cheers.gif

Mcam X2-MR2-SP1

Mill Level 3

Lathe Level 1

Solids

5 Axis

cheers.gif