Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe drawing help

drexen16

I am new to the lathe and i can't figure out how to do a lathe drawing. if anyone has a tutorial that would be really great. any other help is appreciated. i have all the sample lathe files bt i can't seem to figure out how to do it using those. I am trying to create a simple top out of aluminum that spins aerodynamically as perfect as possible.

thanks,

Drexen

this is what I do

assuming you are using x2

click the planes button at the bottom of the screen.

then click lathe diameter +D+Z(WCS)

the bottom of the graphics view should say:

gview:top wcs:top cplane:+d+z[top]

now, the z axis will be along the center of the part

when you draw your dia's (horizontal lines), you input the x dim. as a dia. value, but it is displayed as only half of that distance from the center of the part.

so, if you're drawing a 2" dia. it will be displayed as only 1" from the z axis.

does that make sense?

i'm not the best at explaining things.

hope i didn't totally confuse you.

Jake has it right.

I am constantly checking my plane when working in lathe because if I go to a different view and then click back to the top view my plane will change back to a XY plane. I haven't figured out how to correct this yet. Maybe someone else has.

Phil

Phil/Jake,

There are two check boxes in the configuration menu under CAD Settings

"reset C-plane to Top in ISO gview" (your problem)

"Update Cplane and Tplane when changing Gview"

These are the two WORST options to be set as a default from the factory by CNC Software. I feel sorry for the users that like or still need these options.

Turn them off and your planes will stay set until you decide to switch them (as it should be by default banghead.gif )

HTH,

This didn't work for me.

It changed back to X Y as soon as I went to iso view and then back to top view.

I also tried editing the "general machine parameters" in machine definition manager using the Cplane tab but the cplane still went back to X Y after going from iso view to top view.

Any ideas? cuckoo.gif

Phil

This is a question for anyone who seems to have this worked out.

I made the changes as stated earlier and if I simply change from view to view all seems well but the moment I change my Cplane, to draw on a face, everything gets all screwed up again and if I go back to top view I'm zapped back to x y.

Any thoughts?

Phil

I may start a new thread to get new ideas.

quote:

I made the changes as stated earlier and if I simply change from view to view all seems well but the moment I change my Cplane, to draw on a face, everything gets all screwed up again and if I go back to top view I'm zapped back to x y.

Does not zap me back to Cplane Top here, by going back to Top View. It stays in +D+Z.

If you go back to top C plane it is doing exactly what you asked it do.You need to set the Cplane back to +D+Z in Top View.

Colin

Setting the "Update Cplane and Tplane when changing Gview" is the esiest way to use MC when programming horizontal machines. Just my 2 cents

ok, so i did what you said and i drew my part. now i have the part in full on mastercam but i still cannot figure out how to make a toolpath for those lines. i got the stock all setup and the chuck setup but i cannot figure out how to make the toolpath. when i do toolpath-lathe rough toolpath it gives me this screwed up toolpath and it doesn't use the stock the way i set it up. if anyone would mind making the toolpath i am sure it wouldnt take more than a few minutes. my email is [email protected]. i can email the .emcx. if you are able to help me out should i send the one without the chuck and stock setup or the one with. i can only do half of the top at a time because i need to flip the piece of wood and clamp the handle into the chuck at the mid point.

thanks in advance,

Derek Nilsen

Jake,

I am able to go from view to view with no problem but as soon as I try to create geometry on, lets say, the side view, by clicking on side Cplane and then go back to the top view I am no longer in D+X+ but bounced back into the X Y plane. In V9 I was able to change Cplanes in any view and still retain my D+Z+ plane without reestablishing it when going back to top.

I'm stumped. banghead.gif

Derek, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

drexen16,

Once you have the geometry drawn correctly, start a toolpath by selecting the beginning of your geometry (typically at the Face) as a Chain. As long as the entities are all connected and there are no overlaps, it should allow you to select your chain from Face to Back Face. Make sure you read the prompts carefully. Lathe toolpaths start with a "partial chain" selection by default. This means you'll have to click on the beginning of your desired chain and the end. The green arrow represents where the toolpath will start and the red arrow represents where it will end. The Chain dialog box has buttons for reversing the direction or unselecting the chain if you want to redo your selection. In House Solutions, the host of this website, produces some great tutorial style books you may want to look into. Click on the "Books" link at the top of this page, right under the eMastercam.com logo. HTH cheers.gif

drexen:

From the beginning. Select the machine first by selecting 'Machine Type', 'Lathe', and then select the machine you are posting to.

To set X-axis as a diameter, and the face of the part as Z-zero select 'Settings', 'Machine Definitions Manager', 'Edit General Machine Parameters' will be the 6th icon from the right. On the right side of the menu that appears click on 'CPlane,WCS,HTC/VTL' and select the '+D+Z' option. Save. Some changes require you to click on the 'save the current machine definition file' icon, but don't think this is one of them.

Draw part. To make a finishing pass, select 'Toolpaths', 'Lathe Finish toolpath'. Insert the name that you want to call the part in the box. Select 'Chain', if appropriate. If you have the correct path, click the green checkmark. Pick the tool you want to use. Set the SFM (or RPM), feedrate, etc. I always add a BRIEF comment describing the operation (FINISH TURN).

Click on the 'Finish Parameters' at top right. Want to break the corners? What size radius? Want a 45 deg. instead? Want a different feed on the chamfer? These are all set on this page. You can (and should) adjust your lead in/lead out here. Using a 35 Deg. profile tool to machine a groove behind a thread? Select 'Plunge Parameter', and set the one you need.

There is also a 'Finish Direction' button which gives you 4 options. OD, ID, Face, or Back. Make sure it is set for the desired operation. Click the green check mark.

Select the operations to post. You can select only one or use the green check mark with the arrow next to it to select all operations you have defined. Select 'G1'. Done.

Hope I have explained it well enough for you to get started. Also hope I didn't leave anything out. That would be too embarrassing! bonk.gif