Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe milling, c axis

Oppiz

here I sit with 8 years of MC under my belt, and I never learned how to use MC for C axis milling with my lathe. I've type it in by hand. redface.gif

I never got a post to output what I need in these operations nor have I learn the methods in MC on creating this type of toolpath. bonk.gif

What do I need to get start in my learning process? Anyone have some good samples for me look at? Any help would appreciated...

I'm programming Hardinge t42 with a Fanuc 18T. The post I regularly use doesn't support milling but I've been play with Mplmaster.I'm not have a lot of success but with my lack of knowledge on toolpath creation in MC my troubleshooting skills on the post are limited.

BTW I'm using X2

Several open issues from the posts above:

1)Sample files - These are not automatically installed, but can be added from the mcam CDs any time (if they weren't installed originally or accidentally deleted)

2)C-axis tool planes - There's mention reading the top of your post. Excellent advice. Start in GENERIC FANUC 4X MT_LATHE.PST The information there if used in concert with some additional sources should give you a pretty good idea of what to do (It outlines the valid planes for C-Axis face and cross work, and how to use the misc integer 4 to activate cylindrical or polar interpolation should your control support it. There's also mention of the c-hook "cview" or look at the cview utility (accesed from the toolpaths drop down,mill toolpaths flyout when a mill turn mach def is loaded) to have Mastercam set you in the correct plane. Beware though of cutting past centerline. We have a file we use in our Advanced Lathe Curriculum to illustrate and solve the problem

You feel embarrassed? We've had MasterCam for longer than that, but no live tooling posts. I get around it by using mill to output the dimensions. I then use 'scale' in the editor to double the X-axis values, change Y to C, and cut-and-paste.

I know this is not what you are asking, but might be a way for you to use MasterCam to do the work while getting your lathe post processor set up correctly.

Speaking of embarrassment, I've been shown maybe 3 times over the years how to draw a 3D part. I know it is very simple, yet years later when I do need to make that 3D drawing, I don't remember how. Now that's embarrassing. frown.gif