Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT:Tooling and horizontal programming off CL of rotation

cobra95kev

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Just be sure you retract far enough not to crash when you rotate B axis.

Good point, something I do is draw a circle that represents my work envelope then add a little and pull out to that point.

JM2C

• 2 weeks later...

I have used both methods in the past. I prefer to use a separate work offset where I work now. If working on a non right-angle I will use a tooling ball. The parts are pretty big and we will never run out of work offsets... The new Mazaks go up to G54.1 P200.

quote:

Anybody have or use the dynamic fixture offset feature (G54.2)

Use it all the time on our Variaxis... It makes my days a lot easier.

quote:

Can you use coordinate rotation in G54.2?

There is no need to in my applications since we only work with one part @ a time, but sure you could. Just have a different dynamic offset for each part on the pallet G54.2P1 up to G54.2P8.

Ok, I'm going to ask a REALLY dumb question here.

Are you guys talking about CL programming to mean that all four faced use one offset?

Or that each face gets a fixture offset?

I have allways used a G54 for A0, G55 for the side of A90 and G56 for the side of A270

That would cover everything accessable on those three sides from A0

Or just what the heck are you guys talkin bout?

"Centerline programming is like programming from the pub down the street"

this is true if you are sloppy with your planning and tooling. if your tombs are pinned, ball locked, techni grip. model everything correctly the part should be exactly where you think it is! I still use offsets for the faces incase minor adjustments are needed. But I can put any job pretty much on any tomstone "consider side clearance" on any face without operator errors and crashed machines or scrapped parts.

Part of a programmers job is planning and ease of setups there are error free!

-.-

I don't consider myself sloppy, or a poor planner. I have programmed many parts from home, with a cold one in front of me. Funny how the numbers stay the same when I take the program into work, despite what some people claim here.

One work offset for the entire part (rotory table), regardless of the number of faces, or number of parts. Try and set your parts at a nice round number away from the cl of rot. If you set your working suface at A0. to Z+10., X+5., it becomes X-10., Z+5. when rotated 90. deg.

quote:

The simplicity of using Center of rotation is this, you have one central reference point, ALL Work Coordinate offsets start off using the same point.

This means any adjustment to the individual work coordinate offsets are small incremental changes.

I am agreement with Charlie on this, and do not see where programming from C/L has any affect that would limit the use of multiple work offsets as needed.