Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Computer keeps pausing

Thad

Every so often (10 seconds to a minute), my computer freezes up for about a second or two and then continues normally. This happens when I'm using my spaceball, rotating or zooming with the scroll wheel, or scrolling up and down view directories in Windows Explorer. The hour glass comes up when I'm in Windows Explorer. If I happen to be opening, saving, or posting a file when this kicks in, it causes a delay there too. It seems like something is looking for something, I just don't know what.

It could be a coincidence, but this started after installing the latest Symantec corporate AV. I believe it runs on the server. I've turned it off and I still get the delay.

Here are my specs:

Pentium 4 3Ghz

1GB of RAM

NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL video card

WinXP Pro

The following programs are typically open:

MS Outlook

Windows Explorer (2 sessions)

MC (sometimes multiple sessions)

UG

This is driving me crazy! banghead.gif

Thad

quote:

It could be a coincidence, but this started after installing the latest Symantec corporate AV.

This is my guess. If it runs on a server you likely can not turn it off completely.

I still have a good subscription for Symantec but it was causing performance issues, like the ones you are seeing, because it IS such a system hog. I bought something else.

See if you can get it uninstalled, if the problem goes away, that is your answer.

Maybe new AV software isn't all they

installed

Look in C:Progam Files for a

folder named "SoftActivity"

Its monitoring software that tracks

what you are doing the computer.

They've put it on a couple of

machines here and it really jacks up

a CAD/CAM machines performance

quote:

This is my guess. If it runs on a server you likely can not turn it off completely.....

See if you can get it uninstalled, if the problem goes away, that is your answer.

I'm probably SOL, because that's not going to happen. It's a brand new product by Symantec (so I'm told) and there were some issues installing it. I'm not high enough on the food chain to warrant an uninstall.

Thad

quote:

Your IT dudes could be having server difficulties.

Does it do the same if you work off your local drive?

The guy who does our IT stuff is in the cubicle next to me using WorkNC and UG. He has no issues.

Working locally makes no difference.

One other guy I talked to said that menus take longer to pop up in UG.

Thad

Maybe disabling it in msconfig might work. (Avoiding IT personnel). I'd run just the minimum # of programs for a few days, then turn them back on 1 at a time, wait a few days and repeat. That might help you find the culprit then apply some tweaks. UG, MC and and explorer twice with outlook, sounds like your pushing that system.